Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Celebrate but Remember Why

bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many of us will travel and or gather with friends and family this weekend. We will offically start summer. There will be cookouts, picnics, games and parties. This is the weekend that "we few,we happy few", remember our friends that did not make the trip back with us. This is a strange weekend for those "Band of Brothers" Happy they made it and guilty they did. If you know any combat vets, look them right in the eyes, extend your hand and just simply say to them, "Happy Memorial Day".

If you are gathered this weekend and want to do something special, read this from Shakespeare:

He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

washington-dc-arlington-national-ce.jpg

Spend some time with friends and loved ones. Life is way too short not to.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Great post Tim. It is sad to realize how many people take this holiday and the sacrifices it represents for granted.

From one veteran to another, I thank you for your honored service to our nation.
  • Very Good, Friend . . .
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    To many people just take this as a long weekend and a chance to party and over eat. My dad Marches in the parades with the legion and the group is getting smaller and smaller every year.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    As an ex-military guy myself--thank you, and thank you for your service.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I am proud that we have people on here who care about the REAL meaning of Memorial Day. I use the name "hornhonk" on here. I got that nickname because I am a bugler. I have played Taps at over 500 military funerals. I'm also the Commander of one of the largest American Legion Posts in Texas..Plano.I have had a lot of fun in this forum over the last few months, but I now have a deep respect for all you great people.
    For God and Country,
    Steve Cockerham
  • sassy-q
    sassy-q Posts: 16
    Well said; many thanks to those who serve and have served our glorious country! Happy Memorial Day to all.

Karla
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Amen! Thank all who have been and will go in the future.
    SE Asia USN '67-'71.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Thanks Tim,this is a great reminder :) Thanks to all for your service.Happy Memorial Day :)
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Thanks Steve for the kind words. Welcome to the forum.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Great post!

To all of you who have served or are serving in the military - you are my hero!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • JackBurton
    JackBurton Posts: 35
    I am very thankful for all the men and women who have served so my family can do things like go to school and raise a family in the greatest country in the world. We may be going through some tough times now, but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Thank you to all who helped so I can be free. I truly mean that.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Beautiful post Tim!!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I agree Tim. Life is way to short not to spend it with people you love.

Mike
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    more and more are passing every day. i think the rate is faster than the mortality rate in the war itself, from what i've heard.

when my kids are old enough to appreciate it, the fact that my first landlord (my wife and i rented a place from him and his wife) was a bombardier in a B-24, and flew up to the end of the war, will be something even more difficult to believe. in say 15 years, that will have been almost 80 years after the end of the war. it will seem almost (almost) as far back in history as the civil war was when I was born.

my mother told me once that there was a little old vet that marched in the fourth of july parade when she was a kid, late 1940s. he was frail and took a while to get where he was going, was 90+ or so. the kids thought it was a little funny to see ol' what's-his-name out there every year.

years later, when she thought about it, she recalled that he was a civil war veteran.

my point is that we often forget what they did, or see a little old guy and can't make the connection to their service. or even that we might not understand what the "new" veterans have been simply because events are so recent and the things they went through are so far off our radar screen or outside our daily life.

i never served, but i try to make damn sure i don't take it lightly or pretend it's easy and that i understand what it must have been like. and i'm thankful for the people who are out there doing what they need to do on our behalf
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Beautiful post Tim,
    We all know someone who has served this country wether past or present. I have several Neighbors and friends who are veterans from WWII, Korean War and a few from Viet Nam as well as veterans from the more recent conflicts who all deserve a simple thank You.

The neighbor across the street was permanently injured in Viet Nam just after delivering a load of troops into a Hot LZ. He took a .50 caliber round in his upper thigh near his groin. These guys did not have a co pilot and was able to fly himself and his damaged Huey back to base where he was treated. He is confined to a wheel chair today because of his injuries. He is one who made it back but still paid a high cost for freedom. There are many similar stories from our veterans across our nation.

I am smoking up some butts and briskets tonight and will be treating him to BBQ tomorrow after our trip to "The Wall South" tomorrow. We are privileged to have such a memorial close by to remember those who paid the ultimate price for freedom. I hope you all have a great Memorial and to our Veterans, Thank You. :)
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Great message Tim, thanks for the perspective.

We grill and interact because of the unselfish service of many who came before us.

God bless them all.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Thanks for a great post.

It is important that we take the time to thank those who served and to honor our loved ones who have passed on. All have in some way given us what we have and enjoy now.

Ever be it so small, do something for those who around us that have less and for the elderly.

Have a safe and happy holiday everyone.

GG
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    My father and his 4 brothers served in WWII to Vietnam (and all survived), my fiance was also in Vietnam, my brother was in the Air Force and my nephew in the Marines.

From a military daughter, niece, aunt, sister and fiance, thank you.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Here is a very fast, very easy to say Thanks to our Veterans. :)
    http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    You can't go wrong honoring our fallen men and women in uniform with Henry V.

Thanks to all our vets.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    I will continue to thanks our men and women in service to our country they way I have been doing so.

I will pray that they will not need to be remembered in the way this day calls for..

If I must I will pray their souls are comforted knowing their sacrifice has not gone un-noticed or without gratitude.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    What you do is above and beyond a simple thank you Pete. As a veteran I know your selfless actions were and still are appreciated by all those men and women you served. Thanks for what you do for our Troops. :)
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Great Post.
    I would like to thank all of those who served or who are serving. Thanks to all the great people on this forum who know and appreciate the sacrifices that the young men and women of our Armed Forces make. As some one put it earlier the best way to say thanks is to just extend a hand and look them right in the eye and say thank you for your service.

Pete especaill thanks for all the cooking that you do for the soldiers in your neck of the woods. I wish that I would have been able to send more.

Happy Memorial Day to all.

Alvin Whitehead
    "Alwaysgolf"
    U.S. Army (RET)
    1987-2007