Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, looking for recipe for beef roast

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My girlfriends parents are in town and they they have asked me to cook a beef roast. I picked up a 2.5 lb Eye of round and need some help in the preparation![p]In the recipe section, I saw Grillin' Bill's Tri-tip recipe and was thinking of using that. Any suggestions?[p]Oh, we stoped by the BGE store yesterday and her (girlfriends parents) eyes lit up! They priced a medium with all of the toys. I think they will own an egg befor they leave Atlanta!

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Smokey,
    Way to go ! Maybe they'll include it in the dowery when ya all get married! :^)[p]Dr. Chicken

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I do small roasts that size by trimming the top fat to 1/4 inch or so; painting with mustard; & coating with a spicy rub.[p]I put the roast on cold when the dome temp is about 180 and let it run up gradually to about 300. The last roast I did was 3 lbs., 3" thick and took an hour and a half to reach an internal temp of 130. (I flipped fat side toward the fire for the last half hour). After a half hour rest the internal temp was 136 and the meat was rosy rare.[p]I'd be cautious about cooking an eye of round past medium rare; it's very lean.[p]Cathy
  • Smokey
    Options
    Cat,[p]Thanks for your input! They like meat rare to medium rare, so that should not to be a problem (the 130* internal temp)direct?
  • Smokey
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Thanks for responding so quickly, but what about an idea for the roast?! I need help Doc. I need a perscription ... a fix!
  • Cat
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Yes, direct. For smoke I like hickory/apple, or red oak.[p]Always good to suck up to potential in-laws! ;-}[p]Cathy
  • Smokey
    Options
    Cat,[p]Now come on Cat. Me ... suck up? I'm above that!!! The girl friend thinks I'm crazy (although she'll be joining me at E2K). If her parents get an Egg (they're doing that Atkin's Diet thing), she may just give in and become an Egghead too!
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Smokey,[p] I did a chuck roast earlier this year and reported on it to the forum. Check the archives if you want the whole report. I brined the thing but you may not have time to do that. I covered it with a rub and let it warm up on the counter for a little while before cooking. After that, I followed a procedure I put together from Cook's Illustrated and Cookwise. I seared the meat first until the outside was slightly browned (I have a small BGE as well as a large and seared the meat on the small), then cooked at 300 over hickory until the internal temperature got to 110. After that I opened up the BGE until the temperature got to 500 and cooked until the internal meat temp was 130. Took the meat off and put in foil for about 10 minutes on the counter. When I opened up the foil, internal temperature was 141 -- rare in the middle. Did the roast indirect in a pan with some beer. One good tip is to tie the roast into a "block" so it cooks more evenly.[p]MikeO
  • Smokey
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Thanks for the tip. You cooked yours indirct? Cat suggested direct. It's not that big of a roast. If I only need an internal temp of 130 should I still consider the indirect method?
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Smokey,[p] It's basically personal preference. However, the final internal temperature shouldn't really affect the cooking method you choose. You can reach 130 just as easily by either method.[p]MikeO
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I think the biggest difference will be that the direct method will give you a bit more of a bark. For this cook at these temps/times, I don't think it will make a HUGE difference. For shorter cooks I prefer the direct method myself, I like a little charring to the outer meat.[p]Troy
  • Smokey
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Great thought. Thanks!
  • Smokey
    Options
    MikeO,[p]I see what you mean. If I understand your ealier post correctly, you sear the outside, then go indirect until temp is reached. Is that correct?

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Smokey,[p] Yes. The idea was to sear the outside to get the nice flavors from browning, then cook at 300 (or lower) to get the meat cooked evenly, then cook at 500 for the last few minutes so the outside is crispy. For all I know, I could have gotten the same results by going direct from the very beginning! My post from earlier this year is linked below.[p]MikeO
    [ul][li]Archive Roast Thread[/ul]
  • Cat
    Options
    Smokey,[p]
    If she's keeping company with you doesn't that make her an Egghead by association? [p]I look forward to seeing you both.[p]Cathy

• Cat
    Options
    Smokey - forgot to mention, if you like the rub idea & her parents are doing Atkins, consider the 'Sugarless Texas Sprinkle' in Paul Kirk's book. It's terrific.[p]If you're interested & don't have the book let me know & I'll e-mail the recipe to you.[p]Cathy[p]
  • Smokey
    Options
    Cat,[p]If you can get me that recipe, that would be great!
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Heres one I like. The marinade
    3/4 C. soy sauce
    1/4 C. white vinegar
    1/4 C. Packed Brown sugar
    3 T. salad oil
    1t.Ground ginger
    1Can pineapple chunks
    Mix together in a glass pan and marinate at least 4 hours ( I do it overnight) Then cook it like a big steak. Sear on both sides and dwell till the degree of tenderness is achieved. Use a thermometer. Wood chips if you wish. this is killer. They will bow at your feet. [p]MAC[p]MAC

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Sorry screwed up my OWN recipe. This is the REAL one.
    Heres one I like. The marinade
    3/4 C. soy sauce
    1/4 C. white vinegar
    1/4 C. Packed Brown sugar
    3 T. Worchestershire sauce
    2 T. salad oil
    1t.Ground ginger
    1Can pineapple chunks[p]Mix together in a glass pan and marinate at least 4 hours ( I do it overnight) Then cook it like a big steak. Sear on both sides and dwell till the degree of tenderness is achieved. Use a thermometer. Wood chips if you wish. this is killer. They will bow at your feet. [p]MAC[p]

• Cat
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I just e-mailed it.[p]Cathy

• Smokey
    Options
    MAC,[p]Thanks for the recipe! Only one problem. I can't use sugar. Actually, I can use it, but my guests are doing that Atkin's diet and sugar is not allowed. Truth ... I don't think it would make a #%&$?! bit of difference to them, but it would definately give more flavor![p]
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    hey you! Dont pressure the lad into marriage just yet! He needs to Egg alot more before he toes da' knot :) hehe
    ST

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Smokey,
    My wife is doing the "Atkins" diet too. She says as long as we leave the sugar down to less than 2 %, the carbohydrate thing doesn't enter in! I have no idea what-so-ever!(and I may have mis-stated her actual statement, for clarification sake!)
    You wanted a recipe for a Roast, Ala Egg. I can't help you there. At least not with enough confidence for you to impress your "future in-laws" :^) Just kidding of course! My attempts for roast on the Egg have been somewhat less than spectacular! In fact, almost diappointing! Now mind you, I haven't been using "quality" roasts either. I see though, you've gotten some excellent ideas from others on the forum. I will wait to hear how it turned out for you![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Not sure if I'm too late or not but this was awesome when I cooked it. Give it a shot, if not for the in-laws, some other time. Works great in the egg.[p]Troy

[ul][li]Herb Crusted Beef Tenderloin[/ul]