Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone size for medium

Options
Curious in California
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used the 14" large size pizza stone on a medium egg? Would there be enough air circulation if I use a 14" on my medium egg? (I'm planning ahead- don't have a stone yet) Just turning in out here in CA. after Q ing my first steaks....yummm, night all. CinC

Comments

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Curious in California,
    I use the 14 incher on my Medium and it works great. Leaves about an inch and a half all around and high temps are no problem. Go for it.

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Good morning CinC,[p]Your thinking is right on track. I use a medium and have the 14" stone too. For pizza/breads etc, I set up with the plate setter feet down on the fire ring, 5 each 1/2" brass elbows used as kiln shelfs, then the pizza stone.[p]Fill the fire box really full and heat up to 510 and stabilize for 30 minutes before the first pizza goes on.[p]I also found that fresh deli sliced mozzarella cheese is night and day different than the shredded mozzarella found near in the dairy section. Just my $.02[p]Banker John
  • Curious in California
    Options
    Banker John,
    Thanks for the come back. Totally agree with the cheese but not sure what you mean by "5 each 1/2" brass elbows". What be they? Jane

• Banker John
    Options
    Curious in California,
    these are brass elbow used for plumbing and can be found in the hardware section of most major box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc).[p]I lay them on the plate setter and then place the pizza stone on the brass elbows. A technical term is "kiln shelf" but this inexpensive (about a buck) method accomplishes the same effect.[p]The plate setter will act as a heat shield and add tremendous ceramic mass to the oven. At these higher temps, there are hot spots in the plate setter. If the pizza stone rests directly on the plate setter, these hot spots will conduct into the stone (but not as intense). With the use of the kiln posts, there is an air gap between the plate setter and pizza stone. The result is a very evenly heated pizza stone and IMO, better and more evenly crust.[p]I did not think of this myself. I learned this technique from the forum. Sorry, I do not remember who specifically so I cannot give them credit for this "trick of the trade"[p]Banker John

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    banker john,
    Puj has often shown us photos of kiln posts that he uses to space things apart.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Banker John
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Let's give credit where credit is due. Thank you Puj.