Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutco knives

Options
Chef Boy RC
Chef Boy RC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My college age son is going to be selling Cutco knives to try to earn money and I was wondering if any of you have heard of them or used them. He only knows what they've taught him about them and they've told him they are some of the best knives around, I'd never heard of them and was just wondering. We get our sales demonstration tonight.

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    check out http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/products

Direct from Japan. Check the pricing.

I just found this. Careful, looks like they have a history of scamming kids.

http://www.petitiononline.com/vector/petition.html
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Salty Dog
    Salty Dog Posts: 89
    Options
    They are "ok". Not even remotely in the same league, as say, Hinkle. My "real knife" guy won't even try to sharpen them.....
    He won't have to feel guilty; you get what you pay for.....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    We have a fine set of 5 of them that we paid around $220 for maybe 12 years ago that we bought from a neighbor boy who we knew from birth. I believe they are well made, but we pamper them. The deal is they get young guys like your son and hopefully he can sell all of your friends and relatives a set and he makes some good money. Are they over priced? youbetcha!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    We have a set and have for about 7 years. They are very good quality and hold an edge very well, they are still razor sharp. They have a good web site where you can order more or to add to your set. We have been happy with them. I have been eyeballing/debating a set of Wusthof knives here lately but they are about twice the price. :ermm:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    The ones we have were made in the U.S. I don't know if they are still made here or not.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Eddie....IMHO...I would like to see you do additional research on knives before sinking your money into Wusthof. In my experience, the newer Wushofs just aren't what they used to be 10 or 12 years ago. They are way overpriced, and simply do NOT hold an edge. If you want to talk more about knives, we can start a thread and get everyones opinion, but honestly, IMHO only....better off saving your money for a couple GREAT knives that will last you.... JMHO! :whistle:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    The set I came to love was about 14 years ago and haven't used a set since. I am shopping but haven't made any final decisions. I don't think I would want anything ceramic. What would you recommend?
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Many years ago, I bought a set from my daughter-in-law's sister, felt a bit obligated. Then got another set from a neice not too long ago - same situation.

They keep an edge well and keep a better edge than my professional Hinkle and Wushof. For the way I use the knives the Cutco are as good as any other knife I have used. As for the company backing up the product Cutco can't be beat.

I don't handle the Cutco's any special way and most always wash them in the dishwasher. They are not supposed to rust but I have gotten some spots on the knives. I also have had a few knives where the kids have used them to chop and had put a nick in the blade on several knives.

I also got the food cutting shears and was cutting some wire and put a nick in the blade of the shears.

The Cutco's are fully guaranteed for live and include free sharpening whenever you want them sharpened. The two people we bought from no long sell them so when we need sharpening we send them back to the factory. We have to pay postage to Cutco, Cutco pay's the postage back to us. The turnaround time was relative fast.

What was nice when I sent the knives back the damaged knives were replaced with new knives and the shears were replaced with new shears and of course all were sharpened back to factory specs when we received them back.

As for selling the knives, hopefully your son won't have much of an initial investment and the commission to him will be good.

Keep in mind this will be word of mouth, referral and and or door to door selling, which is the easiest low paying job or the hardest high paying job. Cutco has been around for a lot of years so have your son follow Cutco's instructions and don't try to reinvent the wheel (at first anyway).

If your son's selling target is other students or the like - For the most part those prospects are broke and would rather have fun than invest in 'kitchen knives'.

GG
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    There's a pretty thorough discussion with the same question HERE

Generally, they are not very well respected by people who know knives, but they have a hell of a marketing campaign.

Here's my knives

WarrenPrinceKnives.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Warren...Are those Hiro's? Can't tell from the pic.
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Carter Damascus ;)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    I thought the Damascus series was outdoor knives only??
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Nope, but I don't think he makes them for inventory. I had ordered these and waited about a year and a quarter.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Very nice, to say the least. ;) I have been favoring the Hiro Shiki's, but those too, I had to wait for. Good things come to those who wait! :laugh: ;)
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Bought a set at a home show over 10 years ago just after we got married, far and away the finest stamped steel knives I have ever used. I take good care of them and keep them razor sharp with nothing more than an occasional run over a steel.

I have a lot of friends with Wusthoff and Henckels knives and I'll use them when I prep food in their homes. My Cutco blades beat their stamped blades hands down and are actually on an even par with the some of most expensive forged blades I've used.

Lifetime warranty too, and they do back it up.
  • Eggmoramus
    Eggmoramus Posts: 84
    Options
    I used to work at Williams Sonoma and we sold Wusthof, Henckels, Shun, Global etc. I have bought just about every knife brand imaginable over the years and my personal favorites are Wusthof. I have found that if you take care of them they will last for years (I have some that are 20 years old). They hold an edge very well, they are balanced nicely and you just can't go wrong with them. Hopes this helps.
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Well there ya go, links to the 2 most thought out and coherent webpages I've ever seen..........

I saw it on the internet so it MUST be true.