Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have a 7.75 lb beef brisket......tell me how???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hey gang,[p]just picked up a 7.75 lb beef brisket and I wanna cook it low and slow! I need it for tonight's dinner....I need cooking times and temps...gimme yur best input!!! remember..LOW and SLOW!!! [p]thanx,[p]Da_Butcher

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Da_Butcher,
    I am cooking one now. I marinated it overnight in pineapple juice. I use plastic bags. Next set it out to reach room temp. Coat it with mustard & cover it with a rub.[p]Try to keep your temp at 225 degrees. When the polder thermometer reads 120 wrap it in foil & put it back on the egg. [p]About every 30 minutes to an hour mist it with olive oil & apple juice. When the internal temp reaches 180 degrees take it off & let it stand for 1 hour before slicing.
    If you need to hold it, place it in a styrofoam cooler. It will maintain temp for 2 hour or more.
    Let me know how it works.[p]I am a certified judge here in Metro Kansas City. Even the best competitors have difficulty in turning out excellent brisket consistantly. It typically chews "dary".[p]

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Wayne,
    I've got a brisket (8 lb.) on now, too. I used Elder Ward's World Class brisket recipe. I put it on at noon, but I need it done in 6-7 hours so I'm kicking the temp up from 240 (where its been the last two hours) to 270. At 225 vs 270 do you think the cooking time would double?[p]But your post is intriguing to me. How do you, as a judge (of BBQ I assume) get to be 'certified'? Re: your marinade of pineapple juice, did you juice the pineapple yourself, or used that canned stuff from the store? I would have thought that the store bought stuff would have the enzymes destroyed by pasturization. [p]One question about cooking the brisket - do you recommend always foiling the brisket during part of the cook cycle? Which part? and why? Elder Ward's recipe didn't say anything about wrapping in foil. Maybe I shouldn't because its a rub not a maridade?

[ul][li]Elder Ward's brisket [/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    chuckls,
    I don't know about the increase in temp & cooking time.[p]The Kansas City Barbaque Association conducts judging classes. There is a contest every weekend within 100 miles. There is a judge for each team, i.e., 50 teams equals 50 judges. A table captain brings a styrofoam container from each team. He/she presents them for judging of appearance. Next each judge gets 1 sample/portion from each of the 6 teams. You do not know whose product you are judings. Judges scores the product from 0 to 9...for appearance, tenderness & taste. [p]A typical contest consists of Chicken, Ribs, Pork Butt & Brisket. [p]I see the experts cook each contest. They typically cook brisket for 2 hours & then wrap it in foil & finally remove the foil to finish it off. I am doing that now as the internal temp reached 180. [p]I use the cheapest pinapple, canned juice. It breaks down the fibers.[p]Teams typically cook brisket 15 to 20 hours. They start Friday night for juding at noon on Saturday. [p]I cook on a Traeger, wood pellet, Texas Style smoker. You dial in the temp you want & it feeds the pellets to maintain that temp. Under the product, there is a tray that drains the fluids into an outside bucket. I line it with foil to speed the flow.[p]I bought a Green Egg because I cooked on one in Japan while in the USAF (nostalgia) & the Traeger doesn't have enough height to use a Spanek tower. I cook all poultry vertically. Capons are our favorite.[p]Also, the Traeger won't get hot enough to sear a steak. The Traeger has 600 si of service so I cook with it full.[p]The recent purchase of a Polder thermometer serves me well. It measures the temp of the product & the inside of the cooker.[p]I have 2 spray bottles, 1 for olive oil & 1 for apple oil. I mist the products every 30 minutes to 1 hour.[p]Good Luck.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Da_Butcher,[p]Check out my post above - I go into some details on how I just did a 6.5 pounder successfully.[p]TRex
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wayne Moorhead,
    I'm not clear on your times and temp. How much direct smopke, how long in the foil , and then how long back in direct. Is any of the time indirect out of foil? Thanks, I can't get good brisket here in San Diego, so I bought an egg to do it myself - last couple were all dried out!

• Unknown
    Options
    nogoodbbqinCA,
    Just cooked a 5 pounder yesterday. [p]I smoked it for about 2 hours or until the internal temp reached 120. The experts say it won't take smoke after that.[p]I then wrapped it in foil & cooked it until the internal temp reached 170. Removed the foil & continued to cook until 185. I will cook until 200 next time. [p]While in the foil I misted it with olive oil & apple juice every hour. The competitors do that here in Metro Kansas City.[p]I wrapped it in 905 film & let it set on the counter for about 2 hours before slicing.[p]I use a great over my coals & place a drip pan on it. Next time I will use a pizza stone for everything except poultry.[p]Wayne