Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Leg

Options
Gloria
Gloria Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 4 1/2 lb leg o' lamb that I want to cook tomorrow. I would appreciate any suggestions for marinating, cooking temp., etc. Do I need to sear it first and then lower the temp? What number of Mickey T's rings would you use? Thanks.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Gloria:[p]I marinate in liberal (funny to hear me use that word) amounts of fresh lemon, olive oil, oregano, pepper, garlic, and a little salt overnight in the refrigerator. If you have a large sealable bag for the leg and marinate with the air removed, all the better. Cook (sear your option) at 350º till medium rare. I think this is about 125º to 130º internal. I like de-boned legs rolled and cooked because it is sliceable and you use up the entire leg.
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Gloria,
    Good lamb marinade can be made quickly with Orange Juice and Rosemary. Cuts peices of garlic into slits under the fat. Cook quickly like beef. Watch out for any wild animals when they smell the plume of smoke from the egg!

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Gloria,
    Those were two good suggestions. Here's a third:
    Debone the leg by slitting down to the bone a dissect it (them) out. Open up the leg (butterfly) so it is pretty even in thickness all across. Make a paste with garlic a salt by finely chopping both together. Make 8-10 slits in the meat and slather the paste into those slits. Then use the marinade sugggested by djm5x9.(Classic Greek flavors).Tomorrow when you're ready to cook, get the fire hot: 450-550. Sear each side of the butterflied leg for 3 minutes. Take it off the grill and wait till the dome temp is down to 300-400. Put the leg back on and cook to an internal temp of 125. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Slice thin and serve with pita pockets and tzatziki sauce: finely chopped cucmber, garlic, salt and yogurt. Let us know what you did and how it turned out. Enjoy.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Gloria,[p]We did a rolled boneless leg of lamb for Thanksgiving that was out of this world good. The post is a little long, and the recipe required some work, but the result was sooooooo worth the effort. If you have the time, DO IT![p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Thanksgiving Lamb Thread[/ul]