Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Whole Tenderloin - 1st time cook

NC Egg ManNC Egg Man Posts: 22
edited 8:03PM in EggHead Forum
New Egg user about to make first cook of a 7# whole beef tenderloin. I have a pretty good idea of how I want to prepare the meat (marinade etc) but was looking for a general estimate of time. I plan to sear on high temp for about 1 min/side (4 min TL). Lower dome temp to ~ 250 deg and cook until internal meat tmep is ~ 135 - 140. Any advice would be appreciated

• RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    The old standard is Drunk and Dirty Tenderloin from the cookbook Smoke and Spice.

It has a burbon soy sauce marinade and cooks for about 2 hours until the internal temp gets to 140.

Hope this helps.
  • civil eggineercivil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I have never done one whole and usually cut in 1.5 inch fillets with fantastic results. It allows me to marinade them to impact some subtle flavors and cook them to individual doneness request. I cook them around 500 to 600 dome temps.
  • reelgemreelgem Posts: 4,256
    I'm with you on that one. That recipe is fantastic!!
  • NC Egg ManNC Egg Man Posts: 22
    Thanks all ... bought the book today. Cook tomorrow
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    NC....How do you like your meat? Med rare? Med well?
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,573
    NC Egg Man,

You're not going to marinate a tenderloin are you?

Caledon, ON