Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Question

Options
Dex
Dex Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be doing my first pulled pork this weekend on the Egg (Medium) and I have a question.

I bought a 16 pounder at Sams Club. My first question is does the package have (2) 8 lb butts or is it (1) 16lb? I havent opened it yet and Im sure someone here has bought these from Sams before to know how they come packed.

My 2nd question is this. I know to allow 1.5 - 2 hours per pound of the butt. If this is in fact (2) 8 lb butts, do I judge my cook time on the size of each butt (8 lbs) or TOTAL weight of 16 lbs?

Thanks... just trying to calculate what time to start this.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    This same question was asked and answered a few threads down.

You have Two Butts in that package. It's not the total weight of both butts. It is the weight of weight of each you should be concerned with.

Pulled Pork
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    It is a twin pack from Sam's You can expect anywhere between 10 hours to 16 hours +or-. Some butts cook much faster than others. I have done several of those twin packs and the last two I did took 11 hours at 250 degrees and some before that took 16 hours at 225 degrees. :) Two will not increase your cook time if you have them apart from each other.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Those are some good by the number instructions Pete. :)
  • byron t
    byron t Posts: 2
    Options
    Does anyone think brinning the butt prior to smoking helps???
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You can, but why ruin the flavor of that delicious Pork.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    You end up with a hammy tasting Pork Butt, more like pulled ham than pulled pork. If you purchased from Sam's club, it may already be injected with a 10% Solution (AKA Bine)

I went to BJ's tonight to grab one of those twin packs before you cannot find them anymore this weekend.

Two butts cook the same as one butt. I plan on starting sometime tomorrow around noon to be done on Sunday afternoon to eat on Monday. The longer you let the butts go at 225 to get to 200 the more tender they become.

What rubs are you planning on using?

RhumAndJerk
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Sam's doesn't inject the butts.. Walmart* does
  • Dex
    Dex Posts: 85
    Options
    Thanks guys. I plan on getting up around 3AM to get them started and have around dinner time. Hopefully done in time.

As far as a rub goes, I will be using Dizzy Pigs "Dizzy Dust Course."

This will be my first pulled pork