Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Catering - anyone using Eggs?

Options
Pepper Monkey BBQ
Pepper Monkey BBQ Posts: 652
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So BBQ catering is obviously big time these days ... I was wondering if anyone was using BGE to cook on for their business? It can't compete with the big smokers in capacity, but I'd think it would make up for that in food quality and charcoal/wood usage.

JM

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Pete "Celtic Wolf" does, but he's been busy doing his military BBQ's as of late. You cooked just a few feet from him at Waldorf. Mark
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    In answer to your question, yes, and I'm sure you will hear from a couple of them. There are a few restaurants that have Big Green Eggs as well.

Spring "Eggs Are A Good Thing" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    I do remember Pete and the military BBQs (Erin and I are both military/ex-military so we had some good discussions). Didn't know if there was other catering as well ... looking forward to hearing more about it from everyone!

JM
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Celtic Wolf does use BGEs for that.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Hey there..

Yes I cater with my Eggs, but that is just a small part of what you need to consider first.

One you need insurance and it's not cheap. Catering insurance is separate from Liability Insurance. You will need both.

Now the tough part. You need to check your local health departments rules and regulations. For the most part it is pretty simple. You have to have a way to keep hot food hot and cold food cold while at the catering site. All those food safety things you have seen us argue you death here will apply to you PERIOD. The Heath Dept. will not take any excuses or stike's accurate assessment into account.

Many Health Agency require a commercial kitchen or commissary for food prep. Your residential kitchen does not and will not be considered. Everything you us for catering must be separate from your residential food prep and must be stored in the commercial kitchen or commissary.

There is more, but I will let you digst this first.
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    I knew I'd get some good info in a fraction of a second! We don't have a business nor are we working on making it happen ... more in the 'kicking the idea around' stage ... but we've been asked by friends to cook for them which made us think maybe we should consider catering, mostly because we enjoy cooking so much. I figured there would be many regulations to consider and I haven't looked into what all is required in Maryland. Right now we are just absorbing information to see if it would be something we'd like to pursue. Thanks for the info, we'll continue to absorb it all!
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    ... on the note of separate kitchens ... we actually have two full size kitchens in our house ... one upstairs and one downstairs. We only use the upstairs for our personal cooking ... and the downstairs is our 'entertainment' kitchen, used primarily when we have BBQs because it opens up to our back patio ... I wonder what the state would think of a home kitchen, but used strictly for business ....
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Wolf is right. You'd be amazed at the regulations and requirements in some areas. You can also check into your local regulations about being a "chef-for-hire" which is how I started and doesn't always fall under the same regulations. People that came to my parties liked the food so much that they started paying me to cook for theirs. It wasn't nearly as restrictive but you have to make sure.
    As for your first question, I do use eggs for certain things like turkey when I cater. If it's the type of food I can cook ahead I try to use my eggs. If not, and my 3 eggs won't get it done in a timely manner I go with the big cookers.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You can do that, but keep in mind It can not be open to the outside like a patio kitchen. You will need everything to be NSF certified and you will not long be able to use it for your personal parties. Least not on a regular basis.

You will need at least 5 sinks (Wash, Rinse and Sanitize, prep and hand washing) and they can't be multiple use.

You might want to consider the "Chef for Hire" route, but that limits your catering to peoples homes. If you get asked to cook for a church group, ball team or any other social organization it falls under the normal definition of Catering if it is not at a person's home.
  • Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    Options
    In Maryland it's not the state, it's county or in some cases city health departments that license food service establishments. Regulations aren't uniform but it's not uncommon to see statements like "Home kitchens will NOT be licensed."

In some areas personal chefs aren't required to be licensed but you are restricted to preparing the client's food in the client's home. For your own protection you'd still need insurance and a food handler's or manager's certificate.
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Obviously there is a log to learn! Maybe we should just go all the way and open a BBQ joint that is stand alone, then we would meet all the requirements and be able to cater out of there!!