Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Fillets Without Plank

Options
jimbotron
jimbotron Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, guys!

I make salmon fillets often, and I can't afford to burn up a cedar plank every time (I know they're supposed to be reusable, but they're always pretty much blackened from singeing).

What are my alternatives? Wrap in foil? Place in aluminum pan? Any other suggestions? Preferably with temperature advice, as well?

Thanks!

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
  • jimbotron
    Options
    Cool, thanks. I'm figuring that even if I forego the rub, I could still follow the recipe....
  • jimbotron
    Options
    Hmm...but if I don't apply the rub, I'm worried that the salmon will stick, even if I shoot Pam on the grating. Thoughts?
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Might look at a cast iron grill or pan.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Bordello
    Options
    You sure can, no problem there.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I do them often and just oil them and a little salt toss them direct on the grill skin side down at 350 or so. flip after maybe 5 mins. I use the flipping to get rid of the skin. Another 5 mins. or so until you start to see the white oozing out. They should be done. You can check with a fork to see if they flake but you will be in danger of over cooking and that's a NO-NO for Salmon.
    SalmonScallops2.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    jimbotron,

I often do them on oiled parchment.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Options
    Oil the grid/grill and be gentle to loosen if it's sticking.

Just give it a try at first with a small piece to see what you think.

Good Luck,

Bordello
  • jimbotron
    Options
    All great ideas, thanks, but I particularly like the oiled parchment. Much cheaper than cedar, but I still get some separation and don't need to sweat the sticking issue.

Cpt'n Cook, how do you get the skin off upon flipping? Are you saying you start skin down, and it sticks, and you can somehow neatly separate the meat from skin at that point? That sounds kind of difficult...and I'd be concerned about sticking on the other side after the flip.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Just stick a spatula between the meat and the skin. The skin might stick to the grill a little, the other side won't stick at all. Once it is cooked to a certain point the skin will come off in one piece,
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I just put them on a small cookie sheet that I've lined with foil. I put this on the raised grid, 350ish for 20-25 minutes. Nice...
    The Naked Whiz
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I cook mine on a round cast iron grill pan I picked up at a sports place called Academy here in Texas. Flat on one side, smooth on the other. I also use it to make sliders.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    did not read the responses ,, so probably a repeat.. take lemon slices to cover the 'footprint' of your fish put them on the grid put the salmon skin side down cook till the white protein spots appear use spatula to remove and serve no flip easy clean up
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Would you like your salmon to look like it does in the restaurants? Nice grill marks? Direct from the trade....Hit the flesh side of the salmon with a quick spray of PAM. Cook it direct, flesh side down, until the flesh releases from the grate. (If it is sticking, it hasn't been there long enough) When you get the presentation side looking nice, flip, and finish skin side down. You'll have nice grill marks just like in the restaurants. ;) Works every time! No need for planks...foils, etc. Honest. ;)
  • jimbotron
    Options
    Wow, what great suggestions. Lots of creativity. Thanks so much!

Mike/Beanie-Bean, I was intrigued by your cast iron pan, but couldn't quite visualize it, so I called Academy Sports & Outdoors in Round Rock....and they no longer carry it (or the clueless dude in the camping dept couldn't find it). Is there a brand and/or model # stamped on the thing by any chance?
  • jimbotron
    Options
    bill wrote:
    did not read the responses ,, so probably a repeat.. take lemon slices to cover the 'footprint' of your fish put them on the grid put the salmon skin side down cook till the white protein spots appear use spatula to remove and serve no flip easy clean up

bill, I'm imagining there's a fillet thickness limit to this technique?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05436JPGbb.jpg

DSC05178JPGa.jpg

I buy sides with the skin on, generally cook raised direct and never turn it. If I cook direct with the grate in the regular position, I just build a smaller fire. A fish grate is really nice for positioning and removing it to a platter.

If you want to remove the blood line, just use your fillet knife and remove the skin, then remove the blood line, season that side and lightly oil the skin and set the fillet back on the skin. It will stay pretty well. Then season the up side and you are ready to go. If you have skinless fillets, just make a little foil boat, but add a little oil.

DSC07635a.jpg

Another option is using your pizza stone (preheat it for 20 minutes) and cooking your seasoned fish on parchment. You can use skin-on, skinless fillets or steaks.

DSC03865a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery