Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MIni question

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've has a mini for two years or so and use is once or twice a month. I must start by saying I love it, but in the two+ years of ownership, I have never had a thermometer fot it. I am not a true eggspert, just better than the neighbor! I seem to just get some idea of the temp (and thus far, I have not tried low-n-slow on the mini). I'd like to try to cook slow on a mini soon. Is a thermometer worth the $? (I cook most of my low-n-slow on my medium egg)[p]Smokey

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Why not just switch the thermometer you have with the medium back and forth between the two cookers? Or, alternately, you can use a dual probe polder if you have it (one in the meat, the other in the egg).....[p]QBabe
    :~)

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    QBabe, The regular probe on the BGE thermometer is a bit long for the mini; it ends up in the food. I solved this by cutting off about 1/4 of a cork & drilling a hole through the rest. I use the cork as a spacer between the BGE & the thermometer. JCA

• QBabe
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Ahhh! That explains it and it makes perfect sense. I occasionally have the same problem with my small, depending on the cook. Didn't even think of that. Your cork suggestion sounds like it would do the trick![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Smokey
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Still need to know is it worth $17 for the theremo? I kinda get a sence of the temp and want to do low and slow.
  • QBabe
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I would say no, if you already have a thermo for the medium and can either use the cork like Julie suggested to keep it from poking the meat or use the clip that usually holds it on the inside but instead put it on the outside. Why spend the extra bucks if you don't have to, particularly if the thermo is the standard long one....[p]But, as for the low and slow on the mini, I haven't had the experience with that. I think YB has a mini (please correct me if my brain is wrong on that) and I think that Mollyshark also does....maybe one of them can chime in and help with the low and slow suggestions.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Smokey, I have three eggs and two thermometers. I have a cork on one and I took the clip and placed it on the other. I find a couple of advantage sto this arrangment. I can switch from egg to egg. I can test a thermometer by just pulling it out and sticking it in boiling water. If it should hit meat in an Egg, it just pushes it out a bit. It will not stick in the meat.

• Smokey
    Options
    Wise One,
    That's an interesting solution. Guess I'll have to start buying wine with a cork (no more screw caps)!!![p]Smokey

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Smokey,
    I spose I won't be able to burn the wine box anymore, it added such a fragrant smoke to the meat. ;>[p]Mike in MN