Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need advice on red fish

Options
rooster
rooster Posts: 252
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got some skin on filets that I want to grill. need advice on temp, and seasoning. I had planned on raised at about 400 till flaky. My first time for fish so I could use your advice Thanks

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    blackened is great. Done in a skillet of the Egg. :)
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Ido quite a bit of fish and have had good luck with Chef Pruddohme's blackened redfish seasoning.marinate in Italian dressing for 15-20 minutes not any longer as the acid will start to cook the fish.Egg at 350 oil your grill,4 min a side depending on thickness.Sqeeze lemon over the top when done and serve with Red beans and rice.

GOOD FRIENDS AND GOOD EATS

DALE
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Here's a couple of videos that might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCrj0Mqu66M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=527eh6otcRw

Hope this helps.

Spring "Red On The Head" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    When I do redfish on the half shell, I cook direct on a raised grid with a dome temp around 375. Depending on how spicy you want your filets, any good rub will do. I like John Henry’s pecan hot on mine and it doesn’t overpower the fish. I do not add any smoking wood because my folks like the natural fish flavor not overpowered by smoke. Cook skin side down till flaky and enjoy. Wish I could have been with you when you caught the fish. Reds are fun to catch and great to eat. Good luck.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Frank does his the way I do mine for the most part. I coat the fish with Chef Pauls Blackened redfish seasoning. I use just a little Olive oil in the skillet and get it hot hot. Put the fish in for about 3 minutes per side depending on thickness of the filet. Serve hot off the skillet. It will smoke up a storm if you are doing it right. :laugh:
    Franks video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCrj0Mqu66M
  • egguitarist
    egguitarist Posts: 93
    Options
    I catch alot of reds so I eat alot of em:] I have an EVO to blacken but on the egg I will leave skin on, oil and any rub you like{I like some basil} Egg at 375 -400 and cook till flaky. A little butter and lemon to finish.I will turn mine over if I want to crisp them a little or throw them in the oven on broil for a minute or two. Leaving tonite to go catch some more in the Laguna Madre
  • egguitarist
    egguitarist Posts: 93
    Options
    Forgot to mention the best meat on a red is in the throat. Cut those out and throw them on the grill ;)
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Amen on the redfish throats. Come with their own holders. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.