Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom vent won't slide well

TomCPA
TomCPA Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

My new medium BGE, which I picked up at Waldorf Eggfest, is having a small problem. The bottom vent seems to be sticking. It takes a lot of force to slide open and when it does, it slides the other the screen with it as well.

I used WD-40 figuring that would free it up, but no luck. Any ideas on how to free the bottom vent?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Sounds slightly bent. Simply take a slotted screwdriver and bend the track wherever it is pinching.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Sounds like your doors are reversed. The screen should be on the inside....solid on the outside.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    could be John, but my screen is on the inside and yet I must hold the screen tab with my left thumb while I open the slider with my right. It just sounds like his got bent. My excuse is I retrofitted mine to accept the screen. :)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I have two retrofits and experience the same thing you do. I mean, trying to get two doors to slide in a slot designed for one will cause problems. I also have three with the new door design and there is plenty of 'slop' for the doors.....almost too much. Not saying he doesn't have a track problem as you pointed out.....I'm saying the newer versions are so loosy-goosy the most likely cause is the doors being reversed. It would be nice if the original poster reported back..... :ohmy:
  • TomCPA
    TomCPA Posts: 82
    Hey guys,

Out all day visiting clients. I was too tired to answer until this morning. Thanks for the feedback.

The doors are not reversed. I did put a slotted screwdriver in the track this morning and did loosen the slides a bit, but they still stick together and I have to slide the screen back to its position.

Any more thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Tom
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Tom -

I had the same problem with my medium when I retrofitted the screen. Here are the two things I ded:

a. Don't use a screwdriver to open the track up (you'll get uneven marks). Take out both doors and use the solid door as the pry bar on a one of the tracks. It will fit perfectly, of course, but use it to bend the track outward. Then do the other track. You may have to do it a couple of times and test until you get it right.

b. This may be obvious, but wasn't immediately to me. Put the screen in first with the tab end first, so it matches up to the frame's tab, then *reverse* the solid door do that the tab goes in last. That way you are not trying to move both doors at the same time, and it is better on your fingers if you slip.

Bob V