Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg not getting hot enough

Options
aualum03
aualum03 Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm clearly a rookie but with the Egg and really with a good grill in general but it seems that my egg never wants to get all that hot usually around 300 degrees is as hot as it gets I am leaving the vent completely open on both top and bottom to get there. Any suggestions on getting it hotter or thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Comments

• EggHead09
    EggHead09 Posts: 52
    Options
    Make sure that the ash area is cleaned out in the bottom on the egg. Also, you see the 5 holes on the fire box. Make sure that they are not clogged and have adequate air flow. That should help considerably!!!

Matt
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Need more info....what size egg...is the firebox aligned properly with the lower vent...what type of "lump" charcoal are you using and how much are you putting..how do you light it...did you calibrate the dome thermometer??????? Did you watch the DVD you should have received with your new egg????
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    Make sure your Air Holes in the firebox are not plugged from a previous cook.
    Fill your fire box with more Lump before you cook.
    I've got a Large. If I don't pay attention to the start process. I can turn around and it's 500 already.
    Thats all I can suggest.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fill it to the top of the fire box.
    dome shut, bottom vent wide open and daisy wheel OFF.

20 minutes you should be screaming for mercy
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    You have been given good advise above. With a clean egg (no ash) air holes not clogged you should get to 400-500 degrees fairly quickly. If your egg is not getting that hot that means its not getting proper air flow.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Heat = fuel + air

If fuel is low, heat is low
    If air is low, heat is low

High school physics.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Considering its your first post, I'm just gonna put this out there, cuz I had to double check mine once.

Make sure the opening in the bottom edge of your firebox is lined up really well with your vent opening. Along with all the other possible reasons listed above. You just aren't getting enough air flow.
  • gtalvola
    gtalvola Posts: 42
    Options
    If you are using a lot of smallish pieces of lump, it can restrict airflow and make it difficult to reach high temperatures, even if the holes in the grate and firebox aren't clogged. I had this happen last night. I wanted to finish up a bag of Cowboy and all that were left were smaller pieces (but not small enough to clog the holes), since I had picked out most of the larger pieces for previous cooks. It took quite a bit longer than normal to get past 300. Eventually I got up to the 550 I was looking for, but it took about 20 minutes longer than normal.

Cowboy is usually really fast to heat up, so I was a little surprised.

I'm thinking I need to get a little hand-held fan to push extra air into the lower vent when this sort of thing happens.
  • Unknown
    Options
    make sure the opening in the bottom of your fire pit is lined up with your draft door on bottom of egg
  • DLibby
    DLibby Posts: 3
    Options
    If all the above isn't enough to get it right, make sure your lump is stored in a dry location. I've noticed that it tends to absorb moisture readily.
    Especially in that paper bag many are packaged in.

Had mine stored in a garage and all was fine until a few humid/rainy days came in and then I was having a heck of a time getting heat. Lots of smoke, but little heat until it dried out.

Once the sun was back, I sat the bag out in it all day.
    Next cook I had, it was fine.

Be well,
    D

PS: Hi to all - This forum has been awesome. Just got my egg 2 weeks ago and want to say thanks to all of you.