Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Get Control Summer

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It has been an interesting summer so far. After a grueling first six months of the year, I am finally starting to feel like a human again. Part of this process is coming to terms with the fact that I have just acquired way too much stuff and it did not have any room in any room of my house. I have hauled half of the junk in my basement out to the curb and I have more to go. Boy does it feel good.[p]Anyway, here is how all of this applies to the BGE. I also realized that I have acquired too much food. If I did not buy any food for one month, we could eat like kings for two months. We are talking three different freezers, two refrigerators and a couple of cupboards full of spices, rubs, condiments and other good food. Some of the stuff that I am finding unopened is at least three or more years old. If I don’t’ use them up now, I never will. So that is what the wife and I have been doing, when it is dinnertime we head to the freezer and pull out something and go from there. Tonight will be Greek Style Beef Shish kabobs; last weekend was Jerked Skirt Steaks. I have been thawing out handfuls of frozen shrimp and cooking them along with whatever else I am coking for everyone else. I dusted some shrimp with Chris’s Tsunami Spin and they were outstanding.[p]I have also decided to give away containers of spice rubs that I only marginally cared for. [p]We are at the point now that I can almost unplug the freezer for a couple of months and let it defrost. The best thing is that you actually feel great about freeing up so much space in my house. I mean it really feels good inside. Besides, I will have blast filling it back up once the weather turns cold again.[p]Just Sharing,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• eggaholic
    eggaholic Posts: 309
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I know exactly what you mean, I have 4 full size freezers(although one is only used for bait) and finding myself on strike this summer, I am using the opportunity to eat my way to the bottom of things.
    I only wished I had used a more comprehensive labelling system.[p]Cheers, Brian

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I am a starving student who would love to help you out with your problem, please send any frozen food that is taking up space to me and I can assure you that it will get the respect it needs.[p]"A starving student w/ a BGE," your ask ?[p]Got the egg about 4 years ago when I was gainfuly employed, decided to go back to school and get a law degree. Great decision, I'm truly enjoying it (glutton for punishment I guess) but being a full time student again after 10 years of being in the Money stinks.[p]Any way.....I would like to offer my services as a place for your long lost meat....think of me as the ASPCA for long lost frozen meat products.[p]Your negelected and long neglected meats will be given the attention they long for, a good home, a good rub and a perfect spot on a BGE.[p]Everyone is a winner with this![p]Email me for my address and shipping instructions.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Congrats on getting your life back a little! All that hard work, you deserve a pretty seriously laid back summer. Glad you are getting some good cooking time in. I'll hold one high pointed east northeast!![p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ