Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pastrami is on

Options
Grand Oeuf Vert
Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Following Thirdeye's recipe, I got a 4 lb. what used to be Corned Beef on the egg. Soaked for 2 days, exchanging the water several times to suck the salt out. Rubbed with Montreal Steak Spice. Now on at 225. Hopefully it works. Pictures later. (lots of Beer to sit back an monitor the BGE's performance)

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Good luck with your pastrami - I love it when they come out tender. I usually buy and freeze some corned beef when it goes on sale around St. Patricks day. These can sometimes be tough. One of my first BGE attempts with these corned beefs didn't come out tender enough. Now, if it is a cheap corned beef, I will boil it for a few hours (after soaking it for a few days), then put it on the BGE for the final smoke. This usually comes out great

I'd rather use the egg for the whole process, but this does come out great.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    Did you use a Corned Beef Flat or Point Cut?
    In Maryland
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    Pastrami requires a little work on the front side but the results are usually well worth the effort. Looking forward to your pictures Tim.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Posted pics on Sunday night.
    Hi Vickie...Dizzy Pig worked great on Wings the other night BTW.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    That didn't take long. It's at 150 already. Will give it another half hour, wrap in foil and towel for a bit longer. We could be eating by 3!
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Ohhh, you're going to enjoy this. I especially like the course pepper in Thirdeye's rub.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Now off the BGE at 155 internal. Wrapped in foil, towel and in a cooler for 1 hour. Guess we'll see what its like then.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I don't thing pastrami really needs the post cook cooler treatment, I would be cooling it down so it will slice better, just my thoughts. -RP
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    What Thirdeye says...GOV does! (As long as it is legal)
    We'll see how it turns out....New serial..."As the Egg Cooks." :woohoo:
    (I think I've had too many Beers already)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Tim if you follow Thirdeye it will be great. I got a lot in freazer in bags to throw in backback for work when I dont have anything "good" to take to work. Couple of buns and your ready to go. Easy cook that leaves plenty of time, as you mentioned, for extra pastime! ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Tim, Good luck with that!! I'll be interested in the outcome. What time did you put it on and when do you expect it to be done?
    Can't wait for pics.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE