Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Handle

BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bolt from handle (attaches directly to egg) snapped yesterday while opening the egg. Anyone know where I can pick up the bolt, or what size I need to replace?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    i believe its a self clinching stud, there is a manuf called PEM that makes one that looks like those. might be able to call the store in atlanta and have them mail you a couple
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i found clicnh studs at a small (non-big-box) hardware store. not a rare thing, but took some nosing around
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    My dealer has a toolbox full of them but he is in Maine right now. If your in no hurry I can get you one or two. I think he keeps parts in stock because of my fascination with power tools :whistle::blush::blush:
  • fishlessman
    big box stores really put a hurt on the hardware stores up here, the ones still around are empty. for the cost of a stamp i bet bge will just send him some if he asks nicely.
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    i bet aubochon has them, just up the corner from your shop...
  • fishlessman
    robachauds is the one near me, they stopped paying there bills about a year ago and true value dropped them. i bet you cant even get a mouse trap in there now. this winter the heat was even turned off, one old lady in full winter gear working the store. was really a great place a few years back, had everything right down to the old galvanized coal buckets hidden down in the basement, now its like buying hardware at wallyword. i stopped wasting my time and walking over there for parts, cheaper to get out the mcmaster carr catelog and just order it for tomorrow morning delivery. i think the closest aubuchon is over by pauls house if robechauds isnt what you were thinking of.
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    yeah. robichaud's, that's what i was thinking of. my father was in there last week looking for something.

sad they are falling apart. been there forever.
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Thank you for all the replies. Not a huge immediate issue as the handle still works. It just twists a little upward due to the lack of a bolt on 1 side. I may just try to hit up BGE to see if it is a reasonable request.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey BeerBQ,if you still need a couple replacement bolts,just email me with your address,I have plenty of them.I'll send them to ya :);)
  • can someone send me an invoice for a couple replacement bolts for a handle to loos1975@gmail.com ? Just assembled a large egg today and had a bolt snap from over tightening.

BTW, as far assembling this goes, would I just loosen up the band and insert in?

Thanks,
    Andrew