Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger question

Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am embarrased to ask but I have a large group to cook for this weekend and I am planning on using the frozen burgers from Sams, any guidance on cook times or techniques. Please no lectures on using the frozen burgers, just trying to keep the cost down.[p]Thanks

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Mark,
    cook times and techniques may differ on how much coal your using and how hot you get your grill, but plainly put,
    defrost your burgers in refrig the day before, season them with a generous sprinkle of your favorite rub, grill at about 400 degrees, and as your burgers meet the med-well mark, put them in a pan and keep them warm until your done cooking all the burgers. Before you serve them, invert your pan to use up all the juices at the bottom that has accumulated.

• Mark,[p]Frozen burgers work out fine -- if you cook them correctly. Remember, you have to get the center to a safe temperature without scorching the outside, so the answer is low heat. It may seem odd, but cook them at 250-300 degs. until there part way done, then open the dampers wide and finish them on a hot fire. The inside will be cooked, the outside will be browned and crispy, and nobody will know the difference.[p]Zen Cooker #1
  • Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Mark,[p]I used some inexpensive frozen burgers last year and it was bad.[p]I cooked then directly in the grid and the fat from the burgers smoked like hell and created flare ups.[p]B/c of the limited amout of space on the grid compared with the number of mouths needing food, it was necessary to cook at a high temp, the constant opening and closing of the dome prevented me from keeping at a constant level, the temp got up over 600 very fast. Combo of the grease flare up and high heat hade it impossible to cook to order. everything cameout WELL done.[p]My suggestion. Use a drip pan to catch the grease, Do a test burger before the weekend to see what temp/time works for you, then backwards plan to figure out how long it will take to do a batch so you can backwards plan cooking time. Try and cook so that you minimise the openeing and closing of the dome- BGE works best when the temp is stable and the dome closed. [p]Start early and do batches of burgers if everyone will be eating at the same time. B/c they are just run of the mill frozen burgers they can be nuked to re heat them to serving temp w/o much change in quality. [p]IMHO turning out large quantities of grilled "short-order" type foods over an extend period of time is one of the hardest things to do on the BGE.[p]Get a brisket and smoke it over night- fun, easy, tastes great and at Sam's they can be found for a good price.[p]Good luck,
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Chef Wil,[p]Thanks guys, hopefully it will turn out alright and I will make it through the weekend. I am planning on doing a small butt the night before so I can impress the important people.
  • Butch M
    Butch M Posts: 52
    Mark,
    When I was cooking for a large group, I used the frozen product from Sam’s and agree with keeping the temperature as low as possible. Because of the limited grill space on my egg, as I took them off, I put the cooked burgers into a bun, filled the bun bag and sealed the bag then wrapped the bag in a towel while I cooked the rest. The heat from the burger softens the bun and kept them really warm while waiting for the second and third cook. The result was really good, even using the frozen patties.

• Mark, I guess I don't get it...I do make my own patties and then freeze them so in one way we are starting out at the same point - but what's the issue? I wouldn't think of putting frozen meat on the grill - I merely let them defrost and then cook like they came fresh from the market that day.