Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Third Eye

Options
smokinsop
smokinsop Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone gave me 10 lb box of rib tips. How I cook them?
Done whole spares but never tips

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    2153d794.jpg

If they are a generous as I am with the cut, just barbecue them just like you would a full rack. But in most cases (pardon the pun), they are not. I've seen them barely an inch wide and with so much bone shine and fat, you wondered if you were ever going to get a real bite on them.

In that case, this means cooking a lot of them, and cooking with a little higher temp to avoid drying them out. Try something like 275°to 300°. If you are okay with a sauce, tips are a good candidate. There are some rib tips mixed in with these pork necks, another bargain meal I love.

9ce3086f.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    4-5 hrs total time?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Not at those higher temps....maybe 2 or 2-1/2 hours, maybe 3 if they are meaty. You can even do a foil finish on them once you get some good color. If they are shy on meat, keeping them moist is your goal.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery