Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Poll

Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Of course we all love ribs, steaks, pulled pork etc. off the Egg. Hey they're some of our favorites.[p]What was the last thing you cooked where after you were done eating you thought - man why don't I cook this more often?[p]For me it was nice thick pork chops I did the other day. It had been way too long since I did these previously.[p]Keep em Smokin,
Jethro

Comments

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Jethro,
    I'm still a newbie making my way through the second tier on the food pyramid (Sausages, bacon, pizza) I'd say the two items cooked within the last 2 weeks with the most wow appeal would be a turkey breast and a snack called Buffalo turds done with habanero peppers.

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Jethro,[p]Tropical Storm Oysters- I just posted the recipe on the BGE recipe board
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Charbon,
    Boy if you are making ABT's with habeneros, you are a MAN! Most of us use jalapenos![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Jethro,
    Pork butts! I should do these more often! Now that I have gained a lot of confidence in doing overnighter's it's a great way to feed a bunch of people.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Jethro,
    I did my first pizza the other day, as an appetizer.[p]Have been wanting to do one for a long while and finally just did it.[p]The wife said it was "the best pizza (she's) ever had".[p]It was really good... gonna do it more often.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    The Naked Whiz,
    this is quite ironic...[p]YOUR page gave me the nerve to do a lo and slo pork butt, and i've done another since then. both went PERFECTLY and I had you and Elder Ward to thank.[p]....if I knew you only had done a couple yerself, I'da had much less courage!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    The Naked Whiz,
    Have to clean under cold running water and watch out where you put utensiles.Wife grabbed same stainless steel spoon later to have some ice cream and it was on fire. Course I had to act surprised.

• The Naked Whiz
    stike,
    BUT I DID STAY IN A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LAST NIGHT!!!![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Jethro,
    Smoked Stuffed Cabbage.
    Larry

[ul][li]Smoked Stuffed Cabbage[/ul]
  • Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Jethro,[p]Fish, shrimp, scallops...anything that once swam
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Filet mignon. I usually prefer a steak with a little bit more fat (ribeye or NY strip), and it's usually the most expensive cut. The last time I grilled one, it was amazing.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Jethro,
    Steak, Spatchcocked Chicken and ABT's. All three are easy, quick and predictably delicious. [p]Spring (licking my lips) Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Jethro,[p]Salmon, specifically wild-caught sockeye salmon. The reason I don't cook it more often is it's only available certain times of the year. With mein Egg I don't do anything except rub the fish with some olive oil, put a handful of soaked alder or pecan chips (not chunks) on the coals, then cook the salmon at 400 deg. until it's just right. I flip it once for a few minutes half-way through to brown the flesh but most of the time it's skin side down.[p]Zen Cooker #1[p]
  • YB,
    Request recipe.[p]Thanks

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Jethro,
    After the above mentioned. I have been cooking sweet corn still in the husks (seasonal), Mahi Mahi, scallops and zuccinni reamin my favorites.
    Did somebody mention beef jerky?
    CWM[p]

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Jethro,
    Chicago style pizza from Papa Murphy's (take & bake pizza) and ribeye steaks fresh from the locker plant. You can't beat a good Iowa corn-fed steak fresh from the hoof.
    Julie

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Jethro,
    Last night I did pulled beef for the first time. I bought a pricey piece of choice chuck steak (3.49/lb), covered it with Cowlick rub just before placing it on a raised grill above a drip pan. I used Jack Daniel's oak chips and let the dome temp rise slowly - with the meat in place - to 240. It stayed at 240 until the internal temp was 201 (took 5 hrs, 45 min.). Wrapped it in foil, a towel and placed the meat in an insulated box for 45 minutes, afterwhich I pulled it with two forks (pulled very easily). Outstanding crust, moist, flavorful meat. The family from ages 4 to 90 loved it. It started out at 5 1/2 lbs and probably ended at 4 1/2 lbs. Only one simple sandwich was left (sigh!).

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Wayne Moorhead,
    Here is the recipe I used.[p]
    >
    >Experiment with the stuffing to create one that you like the best.
    >
    >Smoked Stuffed Cabbage
    >
    >l large head of cabbage
    >1/2 apple, chopped
    >1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
    >3/4 lb of your favorite ground sausage
    >4 oz sliced mushrooms, chopped
    >1 tsp fresh Basil
    >1 tsp fresh Rosemary
    >salt & pepper to taste
    >
    >Core cabbage, making a hole about the size of your fist. Brown sausage with other ingredients. Stuff cabbage with sausage mixture.Wrap cabbage in foil, leaving top open. Place on Egg - cook at 300 degrees for 1hour. Place 2 pats of butter on top of sausage stuffing and close foil, completely covering cabbage. Cook for another 2hours. Remove cabbage from foil, quarter & serve.What a treat! Our sides included fried squash and baked red potatoes with chees & garlic topping.[p]>Larry[p]

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Jethro,[p]Without a doubt...[p]BBQ'n: nothing like pork spares. I can eat a million of 'em. Whereas all the butts I do I give most of it away. Enjoy the process more of creating more then eating.
    Grillin': BURGERS!!!. So many ways and ingredients to use. I think when I pass on I will do so without having have tried every way I prefer. I love grilled wings also, but I like BIG FOOD most of the time.[p]finishedrack.JPG
    post.htm
    ST[p]
    [/b]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Jethro,[p]Big THICK pork chops are a specialty of the house at the KennyG Ranch. I've posted this recipe several times here, don't know how many takers I've had. [p]In the "for what it's worth category" I'll toss this into the ring one more time:[p]Try to find bone-in "rib" chops. The bone adds flavor and rib chops are more flavorful to start with. They need to be at least 1.5 inches thick and 2 inches are better yet.[p]Brine first for several hours. The standard Kosher salt and sugar in water will work quite well. Some times I will opt for J Appledog's masterpiece concoction of fresh Orange Juice and a splash of Rum. A little Jerk sauce (optional) doesn't hurt either.[p]Smoke them first at 225° until an internal of 130° or so. They are almost fully cooked at this temp. Dis you say that you wanted juicy? You are not going to boil/broil any internal moisture away at 225 degrees dome!![p]Remove and cover with foil. Crank your Egg to steak grilling temps and go a minute or so a side to add grill marks and crisp up the little bit of fat.[p]Enjoy![p]K~G [p]
  • Jethro, Corn on the cob! Delicious!! S-N-M!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    How do you like yours???? I have done it in foil with butter and pepper, I like my corn soft but my company does not, direct grilled, O.K. but I'm not used to crunchy corn, company prefers that to my foil. Maybe I need new company????? LOL[p]New Bob

• smokeypete
    smokeypete Posts: 63
    Jethro, fer sure dude... swordfish steaks, couple days ago. for a long not seen cousin and wife. they were faneggtastic!

• Car Wash Mike
    New Bob,
    Soak the entire cob, husk everything in cold water for 30 minutes. Place on the grill on a non hot spot for about 20 minutes. Turn about every 5 minutes. The silk inside will give extra moist flavor and really no need for butter unless you want to add.
    Try adding DP Raging River (like you would salt and pepper) for a great flavor.
    Comes out tender. I've only done this 4 times a week since the Missouri Sweet Corn arrived.
    I also do the foil and is great also, just stay away from direct.[p]CWM

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Car Wash Mike,
    About what temp do you use?????[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• Car Wash Mike
    New Bob,
    Around 300-350. Place on the side of cooker is the key.[p]CWM

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    smokeypete,[p]I haven't done swordfish in a long time. How do you do them on the Egg?[p]Regards (er Hang Five),
    Jethro