Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How low can you go?

Options
RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How low of a temperature can a BGE go and be stable? Does it depend on the size of the BGE? Can a temp of 200deg. to 225deg. be maintained/stabilized for an overnight cook? What about even lower than that? Any experienced answers please.
Bob

Comments

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    200, no problem. I think the lowest I have held for a long period of time was about 180. Might be able to go lower, I have never tried.
  • RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    basselope, What size BGE do you use?
    Bob

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    RLA,
    180 degrees.

• Poncho
    Poncho Posts: 50
    Options
    RLA,
    A couple of days ago, I followed Elder Ward's pulled pork recipe. I maintained about 200 degrees for about 14 hours, then up to 300 for another couple of hours. I had to slightly adjust airflow when a morning shower arrived. The next day, there was enough lump left to crank it up to 600 degrees and cook a couple of pizzas. I haven't looked inside since I closed it down after that cook, but my guess is there is probably still good lump in there.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    RLA,
    I've done 180 for a couple of hours doing jerkey. I had trouble keeping it there because the fire would grow when I opened the Egg up to turn the jerkey. I think that as long as I kept the lid closed, I could have maintained that temperature for a long time.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    RLA,
    i had to put on a shoulder earlier than i wanted, because i was going to be away at the exact time when the thing needed to be put on for it to be done on time.[p]i made a fire and set the vents to hold 190. went to a fourth of july parade and festivities that got me home 4 hours later. it was still at 190, and i bumped it up to my desired cook temp of 220, which it held for the remaider of the cook with NO wavering or issues whatsoever.[p]total cook was 21 hours, four hours @ 190, and 17 at 220

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    RLA,[p]I've been able to hold 200 for several hours (overnight). I've never cooked anything where I was trying for a temp below that, but believe its possible. I got up in the morning after cooking an overnight butt once and the temp was down to about 185. I have no idea how long it had been there, but it took no time at all to bring it back up to 210. After cooks of over 20 hours there was still enough lump left to just throw on some more butts and do it again if you were so inclined.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    RLA,
    depends on the weather, i can do 180 anytime, during cold weather ive done 140.