Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

boston butt

joejoe Posts: 3
edited 9:55AM in EggHead Forum

Can you cook two boston butts at the same time on a Large egg? and if so does the place setters legs go up or down?

• civil eggineercivil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I cook two on my medium all the time. I would think you could easily fit three on a single grid. Legs up on the platesetter with a drip pan below the butts. Same cook time for one, two, or three.
  • Panhandle SmokerPanhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    2 no problem 3 piece of cake 4 still doable 5 on their side and more if you get a second grid. :laugh:
  • EddieMacEddieMac Posts: 423
    You can cook 3 seven or eight pounder BBs on a large with no problem whatsover....Platesetters legs go that way you can put a drip pan on the platesetter...and then rest the grill on the platesetters legs....

Tain't rocket science...make sure ya gotta big load of lump in the box...get your fire your dome between 275 and 300...and away you go...Nothing fancy....just do it!

• Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095

Try to make sure you start out with space between the butts (of course they will shrink as they cook). If they are touching, the cook will take longer, as they will act like one large butt. Estimated cooking time is 1.5-2 hr per pound.
  • Fossil FrankFossil Frank Posts: 285
    Here are a few pix of my set-up doing about 14 lbs. of boston butt recently. I'm using a large BGE.
    I used the platesetter with legs up,then a large drip pan sitting on the grid with a vee-rack right in the drip pan holding the meat.You need to put some liquid in the drip pan so the drippings don't smoke. I just use water and it works just fine.
    Pulled pork is possibly the best thing you can do on the BGE AS you see in the next picture I cut these instead of pulling, but I've pulled the last couple. Either way works great.
    I used a ten lb. bag of Royal Oak for this cook and this is what I had left.
    Frank from Indiana
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,766
    5 on a large, who would have thunk it!

p.s. I think you have room for a 6th
  • Panhandle SmokerPanhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    If they were a little smaller I could. :laugh:
  • RU EggsperiencedRU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,526
    Oh yeah...

I do inverted (legs up) and put a drip pan on that then two side by side. I've done four before on my large.

A little better pic for the setup:

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769

Just wondering??
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769
    yep it's in there..