Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low n Slow at an Eggfest

BostonEggSox
BostonEggSox Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious, how do you pull of a long cook at an Eggfest?

I see that a few folks are doing Brisket, Ribs and Butt at the 2nd annual NewEgglandfest. On that Saturday the schedule is 9:00 to 2:30. Can you "sneak in" the night before and fire up your given Egg?

Comments

• ribs are pretty easy to pull off at an eggfest. ...and you can pull off a 5 hour brisket (basically, smoke the brisket at 250 for 2 hours, then foil it up and crank the heat up to 325 for 3 hours, it will be nice and tender then). ...but folks that do butts (or a traditional brisket) usually start em at home and finish them at the fest. . ..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    They usually start it at home and finish it at the fest.

Me I'd rather party at the meet and greet and cook something quick.
  • BostonEggSox
    That's my plan. Meet n Greet with the wife (can't miss Dr BBQs demo!). Head home and back the next day. I've built a good asenal of choices over the last 1.5 years, but really was hoping to pull off a traditional low n slow. Time to pull out all the notes.
  • BostonEggSox
    I was thinking Ribs would be easy as you suggest. Peachy Baby Backs (my spin on Dr BBQs version) it is, along with TriTip and a bunch of sides!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    sean McCabe did the most food, hands down, at last year's fest. butts, ribs, chicken, etc.

he brought his own eggs and camped out the night before at the fest grounds. dude was hard core, and produced some great stuff all day.

i see he's going this year. i wonder if he'll do an overnight again.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BostonEggSox
    The 1.25 hour ride Friday and Saturday has me leaning towards softcore. I just gotta make the most of it and come up with my best "fast" cooks. I better start looking for good Tri-tip now as it's tough to get around here.

Maybe i could convince the wife to let me pack a smoking Egg in the mini-van, securely of course. The photos of the vent cut in the roof of the van to the outside would spark much conversation :laugh:
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    If you are going to the meet and greet Friday night, I am sure they would accomodate a request to set an Egg out for you to cook overnight.
    If you can't hang with camping out all night, I wouldn't mind keeping an eye on your stuff for you, I'll be cooking all night anyway. Just let me know what temp you want to hold and insert one six-pack into my cooler.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you doing all that again this year? holy schmokes, man. it wasa veritable shungload of food you produced. did you rest all day?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BostonEggSox
    Where do you camp? On the Tarantin grounds? I like your offer as well. I'll discuss this all with my other 3 quarters (wifey and 2 boys) and see what they want to do. I know what I want to do B)

Even if I don't take you up on your generous offer, the offer alone earns a 6 pack, and a taste of Patron :woohoo:

I'll get back to you through email.