Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Neck Roast Prep ???

NU2BBQ
NU2BBQ Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi

I have been given a Venison Neck Roast and asked to cook it on the Egg. I have no idea how to prepare this piece of meat. The windpipe/bone is in the roast. I've searched the web for instructions on how to prepare to no avail short of using a crock pot.

Should I remove the windpipe/bone? Should I do it Lo & Slo? (I did one other Venison Roast Lo & Slo which came out good.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• That is an excellent roast to have, second only (maybe) to the loins. Low and slow works real well. You should be able to cut the length of the neck roast to remove the windpipe, but it can also be removed after cooking.

Phil
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Venison neck roasts are one of my favorites. Pork neck is really good too.

The windpipe sours really fast, and is usually removed when field dressing...I bet you are seeing some of the connective tissue in the cavity that wasn't cleaned out.

For prep there are two schools of thought here due to the number of bones in the roast. First you can trim any tags of meat or connective tissue you can get to, then either marinate it or season it. Use a minimum of salt and pepper. You can do all of your cooking on the Egg, by using an indirect set-up but you will have to be careful because deer is so lean. It can dry up on you. A more common method is to get some smoke flavor and color on it and do a braise finish with some liquid in a covered pan or even a crock pot. Wrapping in foil with a little liquid is popular too, I prefer braising, it's easier to monitor and control.

The second method is to remove the bone and roll the roast with seasonings and herbs inside. Then season the outside. Go on the Egg, indirect or raised direct long enough to get some color and flavor, then do a braised finish like above. Here iss a great pictorial on how to prep one for rolling.

http://www.best-venison.com/venison-recipes.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NU2BBQ
    I just re-checked the roast and the windpipe/bone is in there. I'll thaw the roast and cut the thing out when I begin getting it ready. I am very aware of the leaness of this meat and like I did in an earlier venison roast I'll definatly have some liquid in the drip pan to maintain moisture.

Thanks for the info. I'll update once I begin this cook.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    The windpipe will be easier to remove before the roast it fully thawed, like when the meat is still icy. Same goes for trimming and if you happen to fully remove the bone for rolling.

I've seen folks wrap venison roasts in bacon, which does keep it moist, I'm just not a fan of using bacon that way. Another thing to consider is a mop that has some cooking oil added.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NU2BBQ
    Thanks for the tip on removing it while it's still somewhat frozen. It makes sense seeing the piece will hold it's shape better during the removal. I'll try to take pics of the process and cook and post them along with how I cooked it.

Thanks Again
  • NU2BBQ
    Well I finally got around to cooking this thing and to be honest I was not impressed. I smoked it at 250 on a raised grid. It tasted OK but it was a bit dry.

Merry Christmas all