Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Butts

BamaEGG
BamaEGG Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I dont get it. The last 4 or 5 butts I have cooked have run really long. I put a 7 lb butt on last night. In another hour and 45 minutes it will have been on for 14 hours and the internal temp is sitting at 162. This means it is a long way from finishing. Possibly even pushing 20 hours. I trust the stoker and it seems to be keeping the temp stable at 225. I have stirred the coals one time about 20 minutes ago just to make sure that I hadn't burned a column through the lump.

I wasn't planning on having it till dinner but wow.

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    The last butt I did was a little over 7# and it took a little over 15 hrs. I do mine at 250 dome and i had mine hang at around 165 for a long time, then it shot up to 190* real fast. Wrapped it at 200* internal.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    225 dome or grate? If that is 225 dome it will take a very long time to reach 195. Bump the temp up to 250.

If that is the grate temp then patience grasshopper. It will be done when it is done. :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    BamaEGG,

Go to 250* for sure. Once it breaks the plateau you can go higher.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    bump the temp up to 250 that is what i did yesterday

and everything turned out ok ;)

DSC_0014.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    My last couple also took a long time. The good thing is that it will be worth the wait.
  • pearlbeer
    pearlbeer Posts: 4
    Wait. I like to leave mine on for 20+ hours as low as possible. The temp plateau for butt is seriously long. You'll go up to 150-160 faster than you think, and then stick there for 6+ hours before you start creeping up again. Lots of collegen to break down.