Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skirt Steaks Are Not Just for Fajitas Anymore

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found some Skirt Steaks in the back of the freezer last week. I figure that they were there for about a year. I was not sure if they would be freezer burned or not, so I decided to let them soak in Jerk for a couple of days. I slathered them with Pickapeppa Meat Seasoning on Wednesday night and dumped a little dark rum in the bag. I let everything sit until Friday night when I added some limejuice to the bag. On Saturday night, I fired up the medium egg and cooked the steaks on high for three minutes per side. The meat came out with a nice char and cooked to a very juicy medium well. I sliced the steaks thinly across the grain and just put it on the platter. I rounded out the meal with some Red Himalayan Rice with a dash of Jerk seasoning and a quick stir-fry of Onions, Broccoli and Shitake Mushrooms.

The meat was tender and juicy. I am now of the opinion that skirt steak needs to be cooked longer than other steaks. At Medium Rare, the meat is just too chewy. However, at Medium-Well it turned out perfect.[p]Enjoy,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    RhumAndJerk:[p]As you are aware, thickness of the cut and how thin (cross grain, of course) it is sliced makes a big difference regardless of how long it is cooked. For the most part I have not had a problem with skirt steak being too chewy.[p]The thing to watch for is if another cut of meat is suggested that it is skirt steak. These other lesser cuts certainly are tougher.
  • Jim Benenson
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, your marinade sounds so good, I would have been tempted to dump the steak and drink the marinade. [p]This reminds me of the "plank" method we used to use in Florida to cook mudfish. After catching the beast, which fights more than largemouth bass, carefully clean the innards but retain the skin. There is no need for marinade, which would alter the flavor. Put the fish on a cedar plank, then cook it slowly over a low fire until the fish is thoroughly done. Then eat the plank, 'cause mudfish tastes AWFUL! 8^)[p]Zen Cooker #1