Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finished butts...

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,500
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

Put about 36# of butt on last night about 9:30pm. One of them seemed to be a turbo butt as it was ready at 6:30am this morning. Here is the shot just before taking the one in front off...
P5170901.jpg

After that one came off, rearranged the other two. Since we were going to Mass at 8:00am and had stuff to do until almost noon, I re-set the Guru to ramp mode and let it run until we got back...
P5170902.jpg

Here are 3 of the 4 after pulling (will get to the last one in a few minutes)...
P5170903.jpg

and a close-up...
P5170906.jpg

Then vac-sealed in packages of 4 cups each and into the freezer (the last one will be for this week)...
P5170907.jpg

We have a new dish we are in the planning stages on that needs pulled pork, so hopefully we will unveil it next weekend.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Good looking butts! I just got one of my vac sealed bags of pork out yesterday and dropped it in boiling water for a while. My wife thinks its just as good like that as it is fresh. Im still unsure. It sure beats going to town and paying 8.50 a pound for it and it not being that good. Happy Egging!
  • Auburnegger
    Auburnegger Posts: 127
    There is no "Politically Correct" way to ask this, How do you pull your butt? Do you pull with a fork or by hand? I have only used a food processor. Thanks.
  • SSN686
    Morning Rolling Egg:

Like you said...vac sealed sure beats the heck out of most anything else (except fresh).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Morning Auburnegger:

By hand...takes longer, but we like the end result better.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Jay,

I like the way that you did the Foodsaver packaging--mine always seems to eat up more plastic roll than I actually need. How do you get yours to seal so close to the pork like that? I always have an extra 6-8 inches of nothing when I pack mine.

Thanks for any info on this...
  • SSN686
    Morning Mike:

The way they are lying on the table is somewhat misleading as there is 2 to 3 inches of extra bag there. After doing this a few times, I guess I have gotten a better eye for guesstimating the length of the bag (some of my first bags were WAY too long). The more you do, the better you'll get.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Jay,

As it so happens, I'm doing 35-40 pounds of butt in another week or so for my wife's school lunch. Can I ask what you did for a drip pan?

I plan on using my Adjustable Rig, but I'm wonder if the clearance between the bottom grate and the spider is going to allow a pan deep enough to catch all the fat that's going to melt out of the meat. Any pointers?
  • :) I wear Playtex Living Gloves to pull the pork by hand. Sure helps with the "oops I dropped the meat on the floor for the dog" factor :woohoo:
  • :laugh: mouth watering pics, SSN! How does your wife reheat the meat at work? Does the foodsaver technique really beat the baggie technique???? Never used one and am curious :) Thanks, B)
  • SSN686
    Morning DOW:

The food saver work very well for reheating...just drop the bag into a pot of boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes and while it doesn't taste like it just came off the Egg, it is pretty close. We have found that by packaging in 4 cups packages, that is just about right for a quick meal with each of us getting two very nice sized sandwiches. The foodsaver is also better if you are storing for an extended period as the baggie doesn't get all of the air out before you seal it. HTH

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL