Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help w/ replacing band on large

Eric
Eric Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm replacing the band on my large. Any advice on how to do it..... or more importantly what not to do?[p]Many thanks in advance
Eric

Comments

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    It is pretty simple. Follow the instructions and don't release the hinges until the end. and keep a small box wrench by the egg for the first month and tighten the band screw every time you walk by it.
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Eric,
    The only problem I had on mine, once the entire assembly was put together correctly, was the alignment pins fitting into the alignment holes on the dome and base - especially on the base. I had to drill out the hole in the base in order for the band to fit snug against the shell. BGE said that they do that all the time, so I felt comfortable doing that. Put the bottom band onto the base of the egg first and snug up the bolt, then set the dome inside the top band and center it best you can. Begin tightening the bolt and at the same time keep checking that the dome is setting flush on the base. Tighten the both bolts good and tight and you should be done.

• SteveO,
    I am having trouble getting the cap/lid to set evenly on the base. It is about one half inch off. I will follow a suggestion in loosening the bands & tapping on them with a rubber hammer while tightening them. [p]Wayne

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Wayne Moorhead,[p]Just got done replacing the bands, first attempt resulted in about a 1/16th in gap; backed off the nuts, gave a few gentle love taps (i.e 2lb hand sledge tapping a block of wood that trnasfered the force to the bands), re tightened the bands and all was well.[p]two tips,
    1. If instaling the new spring bands , make sure that the hindge mechanism sits on top of the bands (easy to reverse it and not even notice), the correct set up results in the band touching the ceramic on both the body and dome [p]2. Small gaps can be fixed w/ a new felt- if you have had your egg for a while it is probably time to replace it any way- a new felt will seal the egg up tight and also protect the ceramic from accidental harsh closures.