Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard seeds

Options
Cat
Cat Posts: 556
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
[p]Several people interested in "my" (actually John Thorne's) rub/paste for ribs have had trouble finding black mustard seed. They've recently disappeared from my local markets as well, and catalogs that used to carry them no longer do - although some have brown mustard seeds.[p]I recently bought some browns at Adriana's Caravan, a wonderful spice shop here, and was told they were 'the same' as the black seeds. I've read otherwise, so I e-mailed Rochelle Zabarkas, the store's owner, to ask about the difference.[p]Here's her reply:[p]"We used to carry black, brown, and yellow mustard seeds. However, over the past year and a half I have been unable to get the black seeds. For some unknown reason they are not being imported into the country. Although black and brown seeds are botanically different, the flavor
is so similar that no one would be able to discern the difference."[p]Penzey's carries the brown seeds, and Rochelle sells them by mail order (800-316-0820). A PDF version of her catalog can be downloaded from her web site (below).[p]Hope this is helpful for fellow rib fans -[p]Cathy

[ul][li]Adriana's Caravan[/ul]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cat,
    Thanks for the info. Funny you mention it because I just purchased two packages of black mustard seeds at the local Latino market. They had plenty, and I might suggest to check the Latino places before giving up. Thanks for the link....maybe I should go back and get a few more packages!![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Cat,[p]Thanks for the information. I appreciate your efforts an our behalf. The brown seed does make a delicious rub.[p]Spin

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    SPICERACK.JPG
    <p />Cat, I have made my first purchase from Penzys,, and I even threw my wife out of her kitchen closet and turned it into a large spice cabinet. Of course, I had to revamp some dining room cabinets for her junk. My spice closet even has its own light inside. I have a fresh shipment of Juniper Berrys, lemon grass, and a couple of other things I can't pronounce. I have a new ceramic ginger grater and a marble mortar/pestle. I'm getting there:)

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]I really wish you would get more serious about your cooking hobby :~)[p]That's awsome!

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Nice cabinet. While a light is useful for finding what you want, light is detrimental to the flavors of spices and herbs. Best storage is cool, dry, and dark.[p]Mary

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Nice little collection you got workin there! I see the mortar and pestal gets the honors of sharing the shelf with Mr. Prudhomme. I have been wanting to try some of those seasonings by master Prudhomme....where do I begin?? I know one thing, I have never seen such large containers up here!![p]Which of his concoctions is the best??[p]Nice spice KOC.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    I whizzzzed right by this yesterday! Fantastic job "my man"! I'll bet marilyn ain't even half mad over the conversion!
    From the looks of things, you could start a small mail order business right thar in the closet![p]Looks really good! You're coming up in dis world! :^)[p]Dr. Chicken

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Bob, all you folks are makin me giggle.. Heehee!

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Mary, I think I knew that,, but forgot:) Anyway, I only use the light for photos. I am going to install an automatic switch that only comes on when I open the door. My wife gave me one of those looks when I told her. I have got to be careful not to use my favorites all the time soz not to get a reputation of "everything tasting the same". I whupped up an original recipe with crawfish tails, golden mushroom soup, sour cream, fresh crushed garlic, onions, bell pepper, a pinch or two of half of my spices, and mixed in some precooked whole wheat pasta. It was killer. My wife asked me what I put in it. I told her "if I tell you,, I'll have to kill you,, and then who'll wash the dishes". She said if she wasn't afraid of starving to death,, she would have me committed. Ahhhhh! I appear to be safe for the moment..

• Dr. Chicken, I want to be just like you when I grow up:^)

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Is Marilyn taking up a collection to have you committed? If she is, I think there are enough hear on the forum that will chip in! I really don't think that's going be a very big collection! In fact, they may pay us & Marilyn to have you committed!!! Yuk! Yuk! Yuuuuk! :^)[p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: I gotta keep it nice, so I'll stop there!