Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ot.... anyone been to Santorini

Options
Nelson8836
Nelson8836 Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Really want to go to Santorini, Greece. If anyone has been there or know of people that have gone,I would love some feedback :)

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I know this is not what you were asking for, but if you type "Santorini reviews" in a search engine you will find loads of reviews. Hope this helps.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Just got back about a month ago...what would you like to know?

Mntn Bldr
    (Molly's New Buddy)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    My friend was there last April '08 as part of a 12 day cruise on NCL. She is out to a dinner parety tonight and I will ask her to post something tomorrow. It was the favorite part of a 21 trip with friends. Santorini and Istanbul were her 2 favorite places. Cairo they heard gunfire in the background so opted to sleep on the ship not in Cairo. This is a pic of one of the ladies on the cruise and I think it is Santorini?

BETTYDONKEY1.jpgThink
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was there in '84 or '86- had a fantastic time! went by myself met an australian girl there my first day and we hung out together the rest of the week. She was there for the summer and showed me around.

One of the things I remember vividly was sitting in one of those "cliffside" outdoor tavernas, drinking a cold beer, watching the sun go down across the Caldera (volcano remnant in the sea below us) and even tho it was late in the day in the 1st week of May, I was getting sunburned.

Then I went to Mykonos, again a fantastic time.

I decided Greece was so fantastic and so cheap I would go back again the next year and probably every year as long as I could!

haven't been back since.

Now my wife has no interest in going there but my girls do. Hopefully I will be able to take them one day.....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That looks like santorini- they have the zig-zag donkey path coming up from the port to the town
    santorini-a.jpg
    also everyone in Greece speaks English-except for maybe the other tourists from other countries-tho most of them do to. When I was there it seemed that English had become the "universal language".

One thing that struck me about those donkey paths- they looked great in the photos, but in real life they smelled like donkey poop, which was abundant. the brown on the paving in that photo above isn't necessarily where the whitewash had worn away, it's more likely donkey poop trampled into the ground..
  • luis70458
    luis70458 Posts: 48
    Options
    I'll be there for 10 days next May staying @ Anastasis Apartments http://www.anastasisapartments.com/
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    sending you an email.
    A co-worker would love to get a a few more bottles of Tentura she had last year while in Greece.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :) I heard it's a lovely place. :)
  • Nelson8836
    Options
    Thanks for resonding, did you stay in a villa or hotel? Did you stay near the beach or up near the town?
    What would you recommend? The pictures I have seen are beautiful if you have a few you would like to share I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks
  • Nelson8836
    Options
    Well after reading about your experience I am pretty much sold, just have to convince Steve. Thanks for the info..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I went for the first two weeks in May and everyone was apologizing for the weather-"worst in 37 years" but it was nice and beach weather most of the time!

You don't need hot, sunny weather on the days you hit the museums and do indoor stuff. I think it may have rained one day when I was in Athens, but other than that, the "bad" days they spoke of were any days not hot and sunny.

Flowers were out and greenery was green.

it was also considered the "shoulder season"- not peak so less than peak season rates everywhere. More tourists in the summer months too. In the summer it gets hotter and the landscape gets a bit more browned out. I think May is a great time to go there.