Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does a cover actually do any good?

Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Once again I went out on a warm clear morning, pulled an apparently bone dry cover off the LBGE and found beaded up moisture on the Egg, presumably from condensation. That can't be doing anything any good. Apart from keeping birds from doing their business on the Egg, does a cover actually do any good?

Fred Bernardo reported that his Nomex gasket absorbed water and froze his Egg shut last winter. Has anyone seen that happen with a felt gasket?

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Every area may present a different need. In SoCal it would keep the dust off the Egg. So I don't bother and we don't freeze too much here.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    unfreezing a egg is pretty easy just put a drop light in and it should warm it enough..

i have not covered either of my eggs in well over a year and have had no problems but it doesn't freeze much here... plus if it is still cold enough to freeze your egg shut then you should move :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    My experience with the non ventilated cover is that it is not completly water proof. It does help the table and Egg from becoming weathered so fast from the sun as well as keeping the dirt and oak leaves from staining the table. I have ordered a vented cover for my large but can not yet evaluate its moisture resistance. I understand that the vented covers will allow moisture caused by condensation to escape. My opinion is the cover is better than nothing.
  • old chief
    old chief Posts: 6
    I live in Colorado and my egg is probably 5 years old and I have never had a cover. I have a cover for my Ducane and the wind ahs torn it to bits. About 6 months ago my gaskett fell off and I have not replace it. It did not ever freez shut.
  • The only reason I have a cover (vented)is to protect the wooden table. I have found that over the years outdoor stuff ages better if
    a) you don't leave it outdoors
    or
    b) cover it when not in use.
  • I had a cover made for my egg and table.

I live in Mississauga, Ontario where we get four fairly extreme seasons. (mostly winter - ha! ha!)

The purpose of the cover was not really to protect the egg because that puppy is going to make it through a nuclear attack (ha! ha!), although it does keep the rain, the snow, the ice, the leaves, the bird crap, the wind, etc. off the egg. The purpose of the cover is to protect the table and my eggsessories that are on the shlef of the table.

I haven't had to deal with condensation problems. I suppose if I left the egg to the elements, it would get more moisture than any condensation it would receive.

At the end of the day, the cover keeps everything looking nice.

Michael
  • Remember, you are gonna have this egg forever, or at least a very long time. It definitely pays to protect it by covering it. I have had mine covered here in FL for 13 years. Still looks great. I don't know what it would look like had I not kept it covered all this time.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    I've had mine on a covered deck for three years but still wish I had covered mine as the wooden parts still look a bit weathered. I'll be replacing them soon and I'll have a cover then.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Something is better than nothing...all my eggs live beneath a covered porch, but they still get wet and dusty.
  • There have been many posts on here about eggs frozen shut, long before nomex came along. The bands will rust, so a cover should help with that. Of course if you regurlarly get condensation under the cover I guess the cover would not help with that. The cover will help to keep your egg and table from getting weathered. When you see pics of eggs on here notice how some do not have that bright green finish anymore, but a whitish pasty looking finish. That is from the sun. Although there is nothing wrong with that, the egg will still work as well as it did when new.