Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Box Question Issue?

tbonemac
tbonemac Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK I got a question that I have been meaning to ask and keep forgetting.
I have had my medium now for 2 months. Since the first day I have noticed that my fire box does not sit level in the egg. So there are times when I am working on the grate and the box, ring, setter, and grate will rock back and forth.

When I installed the egg into my table I pulled everything out and checked the box, bottom of the egg and could not find anything wrong. When I set it in and line up the notch with the draft door there is just enough for it to rock.
It is not hurting anything, just a nuisance. Is this normal or typical? Any suggestions for what to place under the box to keep it level and from rocking?

Let me know your thoughts.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Evidently there is a high spot on the bottom of the egg or the firebox. The quick answer is to find the high spot and do some material removal.

You don't want to void the warranty, so it would be a good idea to make a call to BGE service, explain the problem and ask what should be done and or replaced to fix the problem. It might be a dealer fix but contacting BGE Service will get the correct answer the quickest.

It would be nice to hear the resolution to the problem.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    sand it down or set it on three pennies or just leave a little ash under it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    But is this a common issue? Or just mine?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    there not a machine fit, mine rocked a little. once the ash builds up a little you dont notice it much and there is always ash in mine as i never thouroughly clean it. once you break it see if the replacement one fits better. mines been in about 9 pieces for the last 2 or 3 years so if that doesnt bother me a little wobbliness sure wouldnt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    To specifically answer your question, I have two larges. One firebox rocks and the other one doesn't, but I really can't tell you how common it is. It's not a problem, just do one of the things fishlessman said. ;) Mark
  • I have a large....
    Nothing rocks (but the food I make on it) :whistle: , but as mentioned these things aren't 100% on!! My dome and base are a bit off.
    The three pennys, sounds like a wonderful correction to me!