Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Sharpeners

Options
Knauf
Knauf Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a good electric knife sharpener on the market? I have a steel and don't want to fool with a whetstone (sp?).

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The Tormek is what I use and I love it. It is expensive, but lets you take good care of your knives and will sharpen lots of other things too, if you are in to woodworking.

Jet makes a look-alike machine that even uses the same jigs and is a good bit less expensive.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Knauf,

I have a few Shun knives that I really like and I use a Chef's Choice Model 120 that does a great job. I have had both the knives and sharpener for years and wouldn't change a thing. :)

Gator
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    I have the Chef's choice as well. I do know how to sharpen my knives the manual way - but this device works extremely well!!

http://www.drillspot.com/products/459467/ChefS_Choice_M120_Electric_Knife_Sharpener
    In Maryland
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    This is a link to a forum that discusses an inexpensive extremely effective knife sharpening system. http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/776367/
    I use this and can sharpen every edge in my home in 45 minutes. The blades will then stay sharp for months useing just a steel.
    If you want to test a convex edge many professionals will sharpen with a slack belt. Usual price for this service is $3 to $5.
    This is somewhat of a do it yourself project but really isn't difficult. The only downside is your friends and neighbors will want you to become thier sharpening service. ;)
    TTFN WLL
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Does the Chef's Choice 120 sharpen at the original angle of the Shun knife? I was under the impression that it worked at 20 degrees (the European angle) rather than the 15 degree Japanese angle. I know that there is now a model 1520(?) that has both angles but is considerably more expensive.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Randy,

What jig(s) do you need in addition to the basic system in order to maintain your knives?

Is the off the shelf system sufficient, or do you need to get the add-on knife jig as well?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You need the knife jig for knives and they have a jig for just about anything that needs sharpening. Something that may be of interest in other parts of the country than here is sharpening lawnmower blades. -RP
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    I picked up an Apex EdgePro over Christmas to sharpen a few new Japanese Knives, my existing German knives and my hunting and pocket knife collection. This thing is excellent. It has a slight learning curve, but let's you choose the angle you want and can reprofile an edge as well as honing up to approx 7000 grit. My knives have never been sharper. Here's a link http://www.oregonknifeshop.com/edgepro-apex-sharpener.html
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Thank you for the very interesting post! I take it that the sander is a bench-top model? Also, got a couple other questions if you don't mind an E-mail. I've tried various sharpening implements & methods over the years and none of them have really cut it (PI)!
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hi Haggis,

I think you will find that the Model 120 sharpens at the European angle. When I bought mine they were not making the 15º models and it was the best I could do. I don't think it makes any difference. I sharpen my knives with it and they could perform surgery! I use it for all my knives, everything from a little pen knife to my 8" Chef's knife, and it gets them all very sharp. I think having a sharpener that will not de-temper your blades and sharpens at a consistent angle is more important.

Gator
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hi Haggis,

I think you will find that the Model 120 sharpens at the European angle. When I bought mine they were not making the 15º models and it was the best I could do. I don't think it makes any difference. I sharpen my knives with it and they could perform surgery! I use it for all my knives, everything from a little pen knife to my 8" Chef's knife, and it gets them all very sharp. I think having a sharpener that will not de-temper your blades and sharpens at a consistent angle is more important.

Gator