Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Double Butt

NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
No. 2 son is home from VATech ergo the need for large quanities of BBQ. Got up early and started 12.6 lbs of butt (2 butts) at 6AM on my med egg.

Wish me luck (I need to learn how to post pics as the site of hickory smoke in the morning is a thing of beauty).

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    No worries! Butts are hard to mess up. Danged near impossible. The most forgiving cut of meat you can put on an BGE! Indirect, 275/300 Dome and you'll be fine! You're Hokie will be Happy!

eddiemac
  • NoVA Bill
    I believe you. I'm kinda jazzed about doing two a once.

I've done single butts twice so far and they turned out great, even sent a BBQ care package with the wife to Blacksburg.

The two butts pretty much fill up the medium so I'm a bit concerned but geez I see all the stacked cooks so it's full steam or is it smoke a head :laugh:

Next test will be figuring out how to get more than three slabs of ribs in the med.

Thanks!
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I also have a medium and always cook two butts at a time. I figure it is a significate time investment so two will cut the number of cooks in half and freeze what I don't consume. I fill the lump to the top of the fire ring and even then sometimes run out at around the 16 hour mark. If they are completely finished (200 internal temp) I finish them in the oven wrapped in foil. I cook mine at 250 dome temp and please keep an eye on the cook throughout the night to avoid Murphy's Law. Good luck!
  • Good luck today - but you won't need it. They will turn out great.

As far as pics go - open up a photobucket acct. Make sure you make it private under acct options. Upload your pics. Copy the image (4th line down uder your pic)and place it in the body of your post by hitting control V (paste). Search the forum for more detailed info. There are tons of posts of how to do it.
    I will be happy to walk you through if needed. It's simple.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • NoVA Bill
    Thank you, I'll take a look at this later today and let you know with any questions.
  • NoVA Bill
    Thanks for the input.

She's holdng at 250 dome right now.

Filled with lump almost to top of fire ring.

I'll be in the Home Office all day so I'll be keeping a nervous eye on the thermometer.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Morning Bill:

Getting more than three slabs of ribs on a medium is not difficult, you just have to be "creative" in how you arrange them.

Click on this link SIX SLABS to see how I did it.

Good luck with it!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• NoVA Bill
    Good morning back to you on this beautiful day in NoVA (should be a the golf course :huh: ),

Great PICS on rackin' and stackin' ribs. I guess the real key is turning the ribs every 90 minutes or so. I am encouraged.

Thanks,
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Morning Bill:

Yeah, moving the inside ones to the outside and vice versa worked well. Good luck with it!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL