Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

surveyor
surveyor Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always used lump charcoal. I see a new charcoal locally which is an all natural bricket. It is bound together with vegtable oil. Has anyone ever used such a thing?

Comments

• Is that Stubbs? I bought a bag and tested it during a cleaning burn. It produced way more ash than lump.
  • surveyor
    We have two brands and yes one is stubbs. I am not sure on the other brand but it is abvailable at home depot.
  • surveyor
    I always used Royal oak and the hardware store I found it in closed. Now Kmart has Steakhouse royal oak lump but I seem to go through that much faster than the original Royal Oak I used.
  • If you have a Lowe's or an Ace Hardware near you, they both carry Cowboy lump. It is good, but burns a little fast. Most Walmarts carry Royal oak lump.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've used R.O. and W.G. and maybe one other brand of "natural" briquettes. They all were fine, as far as how they burned. However, they produce so much ash that even 1 full fire box load all but clogs the air holes. If more was used for an over-nighter, it would probably smother itself.

If I'm low on lump. I'll buy it, but reserve it for only quick cooks.

Also, it doesn't re-cycle well. The left overs tend to break apart when stirred to clear the ash.
  • surveyor
    Thanks I love Royal Oak.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    So far, my limited testing has shown that most of the natural briquettes produce large amounts of ash, which could present a problem for a longer cook in a ceramic cooker with a bowl-shaped firebox. The one exception is Wicked Good Charcoal which produces less ash than even some of the worst lump charcoals. It's still a fair amount of ash, but way less than the other brands of natural briquettes that I've tried.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Burning any type of oil, whether it be vegetable or saturated off a steak creates a whole host of toxins that you most definitely do NOT want your food being exposed too.

The same applies to any burned food.

The whole lot of them (Toxins) being proven offenders in many dietary based cancers.

Regards,

Jeff
  • surveyor
    Wow Thanks everyone I can't believe the help that you all are. Guess that I won't use briketts and will try to find lump somewere I do have a home Depot and they do have cowboy.