Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky times two

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
JER8Mvc-010e.jpg
<p />This 12 pounds of meat went on the Egg about 5:00 am. this morning. [p]I did two recipes---one for Old Dave and friends which is super hot and one for my bride which is medium hot.[p]My double stacked setup is great for this kind of cook as I can keep the meat separated. [p]I'm about 6 hours into this smoke and have the Egg tooling along about 170 degrees. I am using shagbark hickory for smoke. [p]Hope the picture works.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Old Dave, always interested in Jerky recipes - are you going to post the one you used? Thanks in advance!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gordon,
    Have you checked out this link??
    Maybe one or two ideas in there. Hopefully someone will cook jerky at the eggfest so I can see how it is done.[p]Cheers
    NB

[ul][li]Jerky Recipes Out the Butt[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Options
    NB, thanks for the link - I'll save for future exploration. Just finished brunch -- PP Sandwich!

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    Old Dave,
    How did you separate those grill layers and still have a sturdy structure??
    Bob

• RLA,
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by a sturdy structure. I have cooked 4 pork butts at a little under 30 pounds total and it works great. I used two Weber grids, 4 pcs. of threaded rod, 8 fender washers, and some 5/16" nuts and washers. The top rack is adjustable in height although I don't find the need to move it in most of my cooking. If you decide to put one together, you can e-mail me and I can give you the information.
    Old Dave

• Gordon, yes I could post the recipes I have used on my jerky cook but you may find them pretty familiar. [p]For you folks on the forum that haven't tried Gordon's recipe for his River City Beef Jerky, you are missing one of the best treats of your life. I don't think I have tasted better.[p]Ok, for the hot, I use sorghum for the molasses. I also add about 50% more on the spices. For the heat, I use a heaping tablespoon of 90 grade ground cayenne along with a heaping tablespoon of crushed cayenne. This would be for each five pounds of meat. [p]For the medium, I use REAL maple syrup for the molasses and about the same amount of spices that you use in your fine recipe.[p]Thanks much for this wonderful recipe.[p]Old Dave

• Gfw
    Options
    Dave, Sounds great - Jerky is on the menu for next weekend and I'm going to try your variations. Thanks for the insights!