Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally going to an eggfest (Seattle)

Options
Luvs to shoot clay
Luvs to shoot clay Posts: 774
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't seem to make the Texas eggfest since I am off every other year and they seem to shift the date a couple of weeks either way every other year, so I have been missing it by about a week every year. Rita and I needed a place to go for our anniversary and Seattle is cooler than Houston in June so we are going to fly up there and take a car up to Butchart Gardens and come back down for the eggfest before flying back to Houston on Sunday. Look forward to meeting some great people and enjoying some good food and adult beverages! Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

Comments

• snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    If you like a road trip, taking a car to Butchart is fun. You have to go up through Vancouver, about a 3 hour trip, then catch a Canadian ferry and then drive to the gardens. It will probably take you 5-6 hours to get there.. Or you can drive to Port Angeles (about 2 hours from Seattle and catch a ferry) to Victoria and drive. That takes about the same.
    Honestly the best way is to take the Victoria Clipper from Seattle and catch a tour bus to the gardens.
    Don't forget your passport as there are some new rules for Canadian customs.

Too bad Eggfest is at the distributor this time. Its in an industrial park, where it used to be at a lakeside state park. Not very scenic.

Should be a good time.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Thanks for the information but what's the Victoria Clipper? We have some time to make plans and get some reservations. Keep the suggestions coming.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    That is exactly what my wife and I did at OKC. It came at almost the exact time as our 21st anniversary.

I would say that you should plan on cooking. You will feel more involved with what is going on. Don't overdo it though, leave enough time to roam around and try other folks stuff.

Have fun ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    My daughter lives in the Seattle area and is planning on attending also. Her husband is studying for finals, so she is trying to go with a co-worker who is an egger. I told her it will be well worth it! :woohoo:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Willy,

At least you know you and your wife will be eating good one day of the vacation.... :P :P

great seafood restaurants up in that area..... :cheer: :cheer:
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    Willy,
    I live in Vancouver and I use to live in Victoria.
    Personally I would drive. I would do the trip as follows.
    I would drive to Port Angles and take the Coho(ferry name) to Victoria. Before leaving Port Angles I would make sure to visit Hurricane Ridge. The views from the top are spectacular.
    After arriving in Victoria and visting Butchart (incredible) you can take BC Ferries over to Vancouver and head back to Seattle. The terminal is about 30 minutes to the border. Be prepared for Border waits as well all call the us border the new check point charlie.
    It is best to plan to cross early in the am on a weekday.
    If you have the time in Vancouver, take a day and head up to Whister. That is were the Olympics will be held and it truly a remakable place. Well worth it.
    If you have any other questions let me know and i will be glad to help

Mike
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Have fun up there, Willy!
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    The clipper is a walk on ferry (catamaran) that goes from Seattle to Victoria.

http://www.clippervacations.com/

The biggest issue with driving is getting back into the US from Canada. The wait, especially on the weekend is nuts.

Hit me up with an email if you want more info! I have lived in Seattle all my life, and I married a Houston/San Antonio girl.
  • Papa bear
    Papa bear Posts: 26
    Options
    Sounds like a good time is in store for ya up here. WE are going to our first egg fest. Bought it about this time last year.

I see by your handle that you are a clay pigeon hunter. They don't do to well on an egg, but if you shoot sporting, bring your shot gun along. THere are a couple of good shoots that you could alsso attend while you are up here.the shoots listed in order of quality are:

June 21 at Tacoma
    June 7th at granite Falls
    June 14th at Bremerton.

If you are just interested in trap then you could go to Kenmore, Tacoma, Seattle Trap and Skeet, or a few others. Here is a link to the Wasigton State Sporting Clays web site:
    www.mywnsca.com
    they have links to the gun clubs in the area and a schedule for the Sporting Clays shoots.

None of the gun clubs up here rent shotguns but do sell ammo.

Mike ;) :laugh:
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Doing some target shooting would be a really great time but I think I had better leave the guns at home. I was lucky enough that Rita is going to allow the Eggfest, adding a tournament in would really be pushing it. I shoot a tournament almost every weekend that I am home and she usually plans around it. It's supposed to be her vacation too.
    Thanks for the information though.
  • Papa bear
    Papa bear Posts: 26
    Options
    Sounds good. Just thought that I would throw out that option.

May be I'see ya there. If not have a good trip when you come up here.

Mike