Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

techniques on the mini

Butch M
Butch M Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We recently sold our home, and while our new home is being built, moved into an apartment. Because of fire code, I cannot use our Large Egg and have had to put it into storage.[p]We can use a gas grill at the apartment, but you know how food tastes on gas grill. We bought a mini for the purpose of using it at the apartment common area, but that is so much of a hassle.[p]I removed the grates and disconnected the gas from the gas grill, and discovered the mini sits very nicely into the gas grill. Because the flame is controlled, everyone is happy. Except for that wonderful smell of wood smoking, you cannot tell it isn't the gas grill cooking.[p]Can you share with me techniques on using the mini? It is a lot different than my large. Will Mickey T temperature rings work on the mini? How do you control temp and keep food from burning, with the fire being so close to the meat. What size lump should I use?
Any advice that will help is very much appreciated.
Thanks for the help

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Hey Butch!![p]YB is the "Mini King" and he can help you with whatever you need. He has helped me a bunch.[p]As far as the rings go, I used mine last night and Cornfed uses his I know. They work well. Cute little things also.
    Do you like the ones for your large?[p]I am as we speak, burning a couple of sets for some interested folks.[p]I use regular lump and I just got done cutting 6- 1.5" x 1" aluminum blocks to set on the fire ring to bring that grid up a touch. That should do the trick.[p]Have a good day.[p]Mick

• Butch M
    Butch M Posts: 52
    MickeyT,
    Do I like my temperature rings for my large? You bet ya! I rarely used anything else. I have them in storage with my large egg, but I will get them and use them on the mini. I for one, and very thankful to be a part of the temperature ring family. Thank you so much for the information.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Butch M,
    I have all but quit using my large and small when grilling steaks, chops, shrimp, etc. for just me and my wife. I use the mini because it is so convenient and I am convinced makes the best steaks and chops in the world! I do search for slightly smaller pieces of charcoal, and when going for 700° + I will add more charcoal as it gets up to around 550° or so, just to be sure that it has plenty. I have not tried smoking on it yet, but with a set of MickeyT's rings I'm sure you could do as much as the little feller will hold. If you raise your cooking grill you can get the meat a little farther from the coals. One way to do that is to use stainless bolts, but I don't know the proper length - have not tried that on mine yet.

• Butch M,[p]I guess I need to be enlightened about the temperature rings ... what are they ... where to get them, etc.[p]Thanks
    [ul][li]http://www.kseyes.com/Hank's_BGE.htm[/ul]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Hanker'n2Grill,
    I've got to say..you most definately have the nicest set up and view! [p]As far as the rings go, give MickeyT a shout and he will hook you up with the info.[p]~nikki