Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg!, nest problem

Options
Curious in California
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband could not seat our new medium Egg in the nest.. A. because the bolts that hold the clean out were sticking out and preventing it from seating properly and B. there was no hole in the inside leg of the nest for us to bolt the egg to the nest.(as per instructions that came with the nest) I will contact BBQs Galore to see if they have a nest that has a hole. Is there something else that we have over looked?

Comments

• Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Options
    Curious in California,
    A couple of things. I have a medium egg as well and my egg does not sit all the way into the nest. It is about a half an inch or so from the bottom. I think this is normal. Also, loosen the bolt on the nest and move the legs a little wider so you can open the vent door all the way. Be sure you tighten it back snug though so it doesn't come apart. My egg and nest are a couple of years old but mine is not attached to the nest at all. I am not sure of the need to have it attached. The weight will be enough to keep it in place. Good luck with your new egg. You are going to love it. Let us know if you have questions. Folks here are great at answering.[p]Steve

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Curious in California,[p]I had that problem on my large too. I just removed those two bolts and filled the holes with silicone to prevent air from being sucked in. There is absolutly no reason it needs four bolts to hold on the vent and it is glued on with silicone anyway. Just remove them and see it it fits then.[p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pug,[p]I just got a medium and my egg fits in the next and rests on the crossbars.
  • DJ
    DJ Posts: 7
    Options
    Tony,
    i just put together my new egg and nest (large) and if you read the instructions, they suggest you not tighten all the screws in the nest until you seat the egg in it, also, doesn't sound like you have the two sections of legs evenly seperated.....just a thought...as mine fit perfectly...

• Unknown
    Options
    Pug, I have had a medium for about 3 weeks. I have the same problem. Mine sits on the bolt and I have not noticed any problems. My door does not fully open, but it does clear the bottom vent completely. BGE should sell the large nest for the medium.

• smokeypete
    smokeypete Posts: 63
    Options
    Curious in California, i had the same problem with my medium... returned the nest and built a table to hold the egg, much better. now i have a place to put stuff and store the lump underneath in a tote. the tools hanging off the table look cool too.

• maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Options
    Curious in California,
    Smokeypete is right. My husband built a cart and we love it. Can store may things underneath it. My guy is fairly handy but I wouldn't call him a carpenter. And he's sooo proud of his accomplishment!