Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steak sear

Options
Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the Trex steak method, the first step is to sear. Is the sear done with the dome open or closed? Is there any reason why the sear could not be done with the dome open?

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    steve,[p]Closed. (You're also using the heated dome to radiate heat onto the top of the meat)[p]It's part of a proven, well tested, well documented process.[p]But, you can cook with the dome open if you want....you could have kept the old Weber, too... [p]Not trying to sound like a smart *ss....just facts.[p]Mike in MN
  • Steve
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    My problem is that I'm not happy with the sear with the dome closed. So, I thought perhaps the sear process should be with an open dome and then the dwell would be with the dome closed. I guess I should just give it a try.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    steve,
    That's the beauty of it...try it...live and learn, make adjustments and then let us know what works. (or doesn't)[p]You may very well get a drier, crispier, char going with the dome up. I've been satisfied with the TRex method, but I don't do that many steaks.[p]Mike in MN

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    filet-in-cast-iron.jpg
    <p />steve,[p]What temps are you using to sear the steak? At nuke temps >700° or so, seems like you can't go wrong...[p]If you want to try something different, consider using cast iron....
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    trexsteaks.jpg
    <p />steve,[p]As you see in the picture above, I always sear with the dome open - I'm using the radiant heat of the lava coals below and the conductive heat of the superheated grill to do the searing, I don't care about the dome-oven effect at this point. Same concept as searing in a skillet. [p]TRex
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    TRex,
    "As you see in the picture above, I always sear with the dome open"[p]Interesting. I have never heard you say to sear wit the dome open before. That would be the 1st reason to cook with the dome open other than me suggesting to do greasy burgers with the dome open to keep the grease smoke off of the burgers. I guess since you are going to let them sit around for 15-20 min that you don't need the dome heat. That might well be the missing link that will make me try the method. I was assuming you seared dome closed like we always do. Hmmmm, interesting. I wonder how many of the people using the method do that too? The old rule-of-thumb here is to do everything dome closed.[p]Tim

• TRex
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Yeah, I never thought there was a misunderstanding, but after reading this thread I see that there is. Maybe I'll have to edit my write-up.[p]I've always seared with the dome open, for the reasons I state in my other post. I just believe that the efficiency of heat transfer from the radiant heat of the coals, the convective heat of the hot air rising off the coals, and the conductive heat of the grill is much greater than taht of the radiant heat you'd be getting back from the ceramic dome. The ceramic of the dome itself is just not nearly as hot as the coals, since the ceramic has a long time constant for heating (i.e., is an insulator), and it's much farther away from the steak than the coals are. [p]I guess searing with the dome closed would work just fine too, except that you probably would not have as radiant a fire below b/c you have less oxygen flow available. It's just been my observation that you get a "livelier" fire with the dome open. I like for the flames to lick the steak. Just my thoughts anyway.[p]As far as my method goes, the searing is not really the big part that differentiates the cook from other steak methods, it's the 20 minute rest and the roasting period at a lower temperature. Give it a try, whether you like it or not, I'd be interested to hear your opinion.[p]TRex
  • The Other Dave
    Options
    Tim M, I assumed it was supposed be be domed closed also, but after attempting that with rib eyes and having to deal with the flashback issue, I only did dome open with great results.

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Options
    TRex,[p]That sounds like a good idea...darn, we may have to try steaks again, just to compare the methods!
  • Steve
    Options
    QBabe,
    I've been going as hot as I can get it, sort of like a furnace, but I haven't gotten the hard crust I'm used to and like with my old Weber. But, I think the open dome sear may make me happy. I'll let yhou know.

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I sear steak at nuke temps too, dome closed with top vent wide open, and have been very satisfied with the results.
  • Marcus
    Marcus Posts: 13
    Options
    TRex,
    So you sear dome open, rest 20 minutes while temp. drops under dome and then roast? Is flashover that big of a problem?

• Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    TRex,[p]I've had great luck with your method of searing and resting. I really appreciate the write-up of that that you did. I did not know about dome-open though and will try that tomorrow night.[p]You also say no puncturing of the meat and I agree with that. However you can use a "Jaccard" type tenderizer for some tougher pieces of meat. I have done this and marinated in a vacuum for 24-48 hours and the meat still sears and "seals" itself. Any other poking after that of course would allow juices to run out. Very tender meat that way, especially if you use some pineapple concentrate (bromelaine) and some Adolph's non-MSG tenderizer. I love chunks of sirloin butt marinated in 1/3 pineapple concentrate (frozen), 1/3 soy or teriyaki and 1/3 red wine (the cheap stuff ... merlot, pinot, whatever). Of course I still add some Adolph's. I have also used your salt, pepper, rub and mustard on the steaks after removing them from the marinade with even better results.[p]Thanks again.

[ul][li]http://www.kseyes.com/Hank's_BGE.htm[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,[p]Your grill setup is very impressive. After seeing that, I know what Jimmy Carter meant when he said "I have lusted in my heart"[p]Now I have to show my ignorance with 2 questions
    1. What is "Jaccard" type tenderizer? I assume from the post it involves piercing the meat somehow.
    2. What is the item shown in the 2nd and 3rd photos from the bottom.

• TRex
    Options
    Marcus,[p]I've only had a couple of flashbacks, and they occurred the first time I lifted the dome after letting it heat up to >750 F for the sear.[p]On thing that I have observed is that flashbacks appear to occur more often with the Large size Eggs than the other smaller sizes. We should take a poll to see how many flashbacks people have had in what size Egg.[p]TRex
  • Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    paulH,[p]paulH,[p]Thanks:[p]The "other" cooking item is a CookShack smoker which is great for low 'n slows. I'm not sure we're to mention other brands in this forum. The BGE is great but of course takes a little more time and practice. My wife used the Cookshack as it was very easy to smoke and slow cook, i.e. a brisket for 24 hours at low temp.[p]Here's a link for the Jaccard. You can do a search for the cheapest price. I like the 3-row. The blades are very thin. [p]http://www.americangrassfedbeef.com/jaccard-meat-tenderizer.asp[p]I use a Foodsaver Vacuum sealer after piercing and marinating. I use the square canister.[p]http://www.tilia.com/canisters.cfm[p]You can also purchase small hand pump vacuum containers made by VacuVin that are pretty effective.[p]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000053U7F/104-1958819-5650319?v=glance&vi=customer-reviews

[ul][li]http://www.kseyes.com/Hank's_BGE.htm[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,[p]Thanks for the info. I have a Foodsaver, but haven't bought the marinating canister. Sounds like it would be agood thing to get.
  • Marcus
    Marcus Posts: 13
    Options
    TRex,
    As an interested non-egg owner meat burner Smokefella myself, I find this subject of flashback as you call it, slightly disturbing. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems this kind of incident can be avoided by not trying to get "glazed pots" temps under the lid. It still sounds like too much fuel, carbon monoxide and oxy in a chemical conspiracy. I like fire too and study it and wonder if some of the hype on this cooker is deceiving. I think perhaps only seasoned cooks with a lot of common sense should use it if fire or injury is a possibility.
    I guess my question is really, is the benefit worth the risk?

• TRex
    Options
    Marcus,[p]"Is the benefit worth the risk?"[p]I'd gladly sacrifice a few dozen knuckle hairs for the results I get off the Egg. It's just a matter of safety. You can injure yourself just as easily on a conventional stove top if you're not careful.[p]As I was saying earlier, in 2.5 years I have only had 2 flashbacks. In neither case was I injured - I may have just let a few colorful words escape my mouth.[p]TRex