Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- My last HERTZ car rental

Options
HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I left my Headphones in the HERTZ rental car. Yes, my fault. Called HERTZ and they found it. I offered to pay for shipping and they said no problem they would pay. They stuff a fragile item in a lightly padded paper envelope. Send it uninsured via usps. When it arrived all smashed I called them. Their response was they did me a favor by sending it out and call the post office if I want to complain. Me offering to pay for shipping meant nothing and the nerve to tell me to call the post office to complain about an uninsured broken item. This is my Waldorf Eggfest story. Learn from my mistake and consider a rental company that takes care of any items you may leave behind.
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0014-1.jpg

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    It doesn't look like they had any experience in shipping fragile items. :angry: A little common sense goes a long way. :ermm: Sorry for your loss, they look they were a nice pair. :( Next time I would suggest an event known as the Rental Car Nationals. :evil: :woohoo: A very good definition of the event was on the movie Days of Thunder. :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    It was a nice gesture of Hertz but an employee really not thinking through the shipment. I would think if the headphones were damaged you would have been notified during your phone call.

Hertz should replace the headphones for you and you need to talk to the 'right' department.

You should have never been instructed to complain to USPS as the replacement is not USPS's responsibility.

I have shipped thousands upon thousands of packages via USPS. Long ago we elected to self insure, that is not pay USPS insurance. The package damage/loss ratio through USPS was extremely low. It was more cost effective to replace the shipment rather than continually to pay insurance on every outgoing package.

The employee was too lazy to setup insurance or possibly Hertz policy not to insure.

You are/were a Hertz customer and there are other alternatives for car rental. You should call someone higher up in Hertz. To Hertz it is probably less costly to retain a customer than to find a new customer.

GG
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks. I will be renting a car in a couple of weeks for a long road trip. No Hertze for me
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That stinks, Al.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Time to float it up the ladder. I think someone at corporate will take care of this. That is just wrong.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Already working on it. I had a problem a while back and it had to go up the ladder. They did me right. That's why I used them again. I can tell you it's hard to go up their ladder. I started with the online complaint form. They never responded to me.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    It was totally brainless. It was a lost and found department. I offered to pay. If they could not find it, it's my problem. They should have some responsibility to ship it in a reasonable manner.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Damn :evil:

Reminds me of when I left some nice shades in a tux when returning it. I called them a few hours later and asked if they found a pair today, the guy went to check and returned to the phone to say "Nope, no black sunglasses." I say "I din't say they were black, but they are." A--HOLE

I would call the corp. office. Those things look fancy.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The initial loss is on you. However, as kind as it was, once found and with the offer to return Hertz now has the responsibility.

Now it becomes a matter is the effort worth the results. Most folks will usually not push the issue and hence the individuals take the loss.

I have a daughter-in-law who fair but dogmatic when problems happen. She is not mean, rude or threatening. It never seems to amaze how much she is made hole or better than hole. Me... I usually just take the loss.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    http://www.gethuman.com/

That is totally irresponsible. This is a link to the "talk to a human" site that lists phone information on bypassing the recorded messages used so often with big corporations. Maybe it's a start.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    Thanks for the post Thirdeye. I'm sure this will come in handy. Saved this to my favorites.
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    My local hertz is pretty good, but they know me. I wreck a hertz car once in an accident, and was so flustered that I forgor my EZPass in it. Well when I called them to let them know they said they would look for it. Then I got a letter that said I had to call this number and talk to "Dan" and confirm that I had left something in the car to have it mailed to me.
    Well, Dan didn't sound like he knew about anything when I called him, and I think he just agreed with what I was saying to get me off the phone.

Yah no ezpass ever arrived. So, least you go something back!

Sucks, right?
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I'm thinking that once they told you that they would ship it, they assumed responsibility for the item. We have some sharp legal minds on here, maybe someone will chime in.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Had a good contact number from someone. I will be compensated for everything. The GM said I was given a lame excuse.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    So that means no Rental Car Nationals? :laugh: Good for you. It says a lot when a company stands up for their mistakes. It is probably some of the best advertising they do which almost guarantees a return costumer. :)