Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pizza help

AronAron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made some pizzas last week that were the best I've ever done, and were very close to what I'd consider perfection. My only problem was that the bottom of the crust was a little too charred for my taste. I live in NY now and have come to love some char at the coal-fired pizzerias in NYC, but this was too much.

I lit the Egg and allowed it to preheat with plate setter (legs down) and pizza stone in place. I got the temp to just shy of 700 and let it sit there for about 10 minutes before putting the first pizza on (we did 4 personal sized pizzas). We cooked the pizzas one after another and each took about 2-3 minutes to cook (Neopolitan style--my favorite). The crust was perfect texture, and the outside of the crust and cheese both had nice blisters, but the bottom was completely blackened.

I seem to remember reading (can't remember if it was here though) about someone wiping the stone with a damp cloth just before putting the pizza on to prevent this problem. Before I try this, I wanted some feedback of whether this is a good idea, since I wouldn't want to crack my stone by changing the temp too quickly with water on a 700 degree stone.

Comments