Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck\'s Cheesteaks & ABT\'s

reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I went to Waldorf everyone said "You have to be sure to try Chuck's cheesesteaks". Chuck is on the
Dizzy Pig competition team and I was over at the Dizzy camp and I got to learn first hand just exactly how Chuck makes these fantastic sandwiches. They were a BIG hit at the party last night and they disappeared quickly. Thanks Chuck for this great recipe!!!!
I just got a new "Chile Grille" and I decided to try it out, so I made some shrimp ABT's and some pulled pork ABT's. Everything turned out great and it was a fun time.

Jalapenos cored and on the new chile grill.

009.jpg

Mixed some Bomba with cream cheese and made some shrimp and some with pulled pork.

010.jpg

Here they are all ready to go on the egg.

011.jpg

About an hour later

017.jpg

Chuck's cheesesteaks...start with 3lbs top round steak sliced paper thin.

012.jpg

Cut vertically and horizontally into large squares.

013.jpg

Into a CI skillet, heated the pan up with a little oil. When it was hot, added the meat.

013.jpg

033.jpg

Let the meat start to brown and using 2 spatulas start breaking apart the meat, so it's not sticking together. When it's almost done add some Dizzy Pig "Cowlick" to it. You want to go pretty heavy with it. Then add some sauteed onions.

038.jpg

Then put slices of white american cheese on top, and let it melt. Take it off the heat and serve in a club roll. They are delicious. You can make them with mushroom too.

044.jpg

Made some asparagus rafts again with olive oil and lemon pepper.

023.jpg

This was day one of a 2 day Mother's Day celebration.
Me, mom and the granddaughters, all with full tummys. Ir's always great to spend time with them.

048.jpg

Everyone's Mother's Day flowers. Between the food and the flowers the house smelled great.

108.jpg

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Looks like you're having a wonderful mother's day, food looks great! -RP
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Anne, are you sure you aren't from Philly, that finished shot of the cheesesteak meat looks perfect; by the way, did you get my email?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Anne,
    Great to see you had a terrific meal and company!
    My little brother sent me a bouquet.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Very nice, Anne! Great pics, and some cutie little girls!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • reelgem
    That was yesterday...today we had a HUGE brunch at my daughters house and we're all going out to dinner in a little bit. I'm going to hate to step on the scale tomorrow. Thank god I took a 5 mile walk this morning.
  • reelgem
    No not from Philly Marc. I'm a born and raised "cheesehead". But I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those silly foam cheese wedges on my head at a Green Bay Packer game. :woohoo:
    As for the email, do you mean the "Dale" one?? LOL!!
  • reelgem
    Mother's Day is always a big celebration in my family. That was sweet of your little brother to send you flowers. Hope you're having a nice day Molly.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Anne, That looks great. I'm gonna have to put BOTH of those recipes in my growing "To do Next" file. :)

Glad you had a great Mother's Day weekend - three generations of girls :woohoo:

Did you have the DigiQ2 hooked up when grilling the cheesesteaks?
  • reelgem
    Thanks Faith, the little one on the left is my sous chef. :)
  • reelgem
    Thanks, I've got one of those growint "recipes to cook" files.
    No, the digiQ wasn't hooked up. That was out for something else. The cheesesteaks are a fast cook and you don't close the egg during the cooking.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    yepper :blush:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Looks really nice Anne. Why aren't the Gemettes smiling?

Mike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Anne,

Great looking cooks and family. Did the grandkids eat the chilies? BTW Where do you get those chili grills?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rooster
    rooster Posts: 252
    what are abts? where the peppers direct or indirect? what temp thanks i didnnt get no details
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Anne what a post.......great cook...bomba & all...wowwwwwww....beautiful girls & the flowers are amazing.....FELICIDADES!!!
  • Misippi Egger
    Anne,

I looked at the Chili Grille (Iron Desert) web site, but they don't seem to have a round grille. Did you get it from a different company?

It looks like a neat, clean was to do those ABT's.
  • reelgem
    Steve, the grandkids won't touch the ABT's. They love mexican food but not jalapenos done like that. They loved the cheesesteaks. Just kept saying....mmmmmmmm!!

FYI- I got the chile grill at irondesert.com
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Anne,

Thanks.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• reelgem
    You obviously are very new to egging. ABT's stand for Atomic Buffalo Turds. This was the first time I used the chile grill usually I do them on a rack, raised grid, direct 350 degrees. You scoop the seeds out of the jalapenos, and then fill them with a little cream cheese mixed with any seasoning you like,then add the shrimp, or pulled pork, or whatever meat you want. Put the bacon over the top and secure with a toothpick. The toothpick is very important with a chile grill because as the jalapeno cooks it gets smaller and could fall through the holes.
  • reelgem
    Thanks Beli!! Coming from you that a nice compliment.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Beautiful family picture and the food looks great but shouldn't Del be doing the cooking :P I gave my Mom about 5 pounds of sliced cheesesteak meat tonight for later. Hope you had a great Mothers Day.
  • reelgem
    I just checked the irondesert.com website and they do have the round ones, it's on the bottom of the first page. They're called - Chile Grill - 12 in. Dutch Oven Model
  • reelgem
    Thanks Pat!! That cook was from yesterday...it wasn't officially Mother's Day so I still had to cook. :angry: Del did cook the cheese steaks but I did all the prepping which is the most work. Those abt's were a real PIB. They are very labor intesnive as you know. Especially when you do 36 of them. I did have a great Mother's day. All we did was eat.
    Did I hear you right that you gave your mom 5lbs. of sliced cheesesteak?? Does she have a tapeworm too?? I'm wondering if they're hereditary!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Happy Mother's Day to Wendy.
  • Misippi Egger
    OK. :blush: From the thumbnails those looked like they didn't have any way to stand up, so i thought they must fit on top of a DO. But it looks like yours is free standing.

Look like it goes on the "Father's Day" list. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Her and her bingo friends will devour them :lol: She turns 79 this week and I can't keep up with her :ohmy: I better warn Zippy that she's flying to Philly later this month.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Anne:

If your cheesesteaks were half as good as Chuck's then I know they were a big hit with everyone.

Great looking bunch of ladies too!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Nice job on the cheesesteaks Anne!!! They look perfect. Those ABTs look really good too. I haven't done them for awhile and never with shrimp. Produce junction tomorrow for some jalapenos. Adorable Granddaughters that I assume made your Mothers day special.

Say hi to Del.

Chuck
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Thanks for the kind words. It looks to me like Anne and Del did a great job.

Chuck
  • reelgem
    Thanks Jay!! The cheesesteaks tasted exactly like Chuck's. At Waldorf I watched him make 3 batches and took pictures and notes so I could reproduce them just like he made them. He's a great teacher, and was so patient with all my questions.
    I'm going to rename them "Chuck's disappearing cheesesteaks" :)
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Good looking cheesesteaks. One question, I have a wife that doesn't eatbeef so could chicken be used instead of beef?