Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on cooking burgers and dogs

Options
EggHead09
EggHead09 Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a question. I am going to cook about 50 hamburgers and 30 hot dogs this afternoon. Is indirect or direct cooking the best way to cook burgers and dogs. Somebody went cheap on burgers and got 75/25 burgers...any suggestions would be great!!!

Matt~

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    If it was me, I'd do both direct at around 400° with the dome closed. Just be sure to burp when opening to save your arm hairs!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Whoever went cheap on you did a good job. Don't smash the juice out of this tasty burgers.

Form your burgers. Put a little Worcestershire sauce on one side. With a brush or hand even out the warchestershire sauce, then salt & pepper, light onion powder, light garlic powder and medium paprika. Turn and so it all over again. Cook when ready.

400° dome is fine. Cherry wood, or apple wood, or hardwoods if you want a stronger smoke flavor but fruit woods are great. Don't load the lump high in the egg maybe about 1 to 2 inches below the top of the fire ring - unless you have a raised grid.

Dogs put a very shallow slit (3 of them) in the casings both sides. 400° for the dogs is fine but they will char if not watched at that temperature. For my large & mini about 4 to 6 minutes each side on the dogs.

Burgers I cook to temperature using my thermapen.

If you find you have hot spots rotate the grid during the cook.

Those cheap burgers will taste fantastic as will the great meal.

Working on Sweet Pork Barbacoa & Lime Celentro Sauce.

GG