Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Faster Method for Pulled Pork???

Options
Lizard Dragger
Lizard Dragger Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to make pulled pork tomorrow, can't do the overnite method due to other obligations. Anyone have a method and setup to do it in maybe 7 hours???

Comments

• AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    How big is the butt you are planning to do? You could cut it into halves or thirds and they would cook faster. Don't know how tender it would be but you would have more bark. But a five pounder would still take anywhere from 7-10 hours depending on temp. Hope this helps
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    How big is it?
    I have a few recipes for 8 lber in 6-7 hours.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi, Lizard Dragger. Since you can't do it overnight, maybe you could smoke it today for a few hours, foil it, then finish it in the oven tomorrow for the 7 hours. Then it will have some smoke and still be tender.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC06400JPGajpgaa.jpg

To shorten your cook time there are several ways to go.

First you can reduce the size of the roast(s). In the picture above, I turned two 8# ones into four 4# ones. I wouldn't go much smaller than a #4 one.

You can barbecue the roast(s) until the internal temp is 170° or so, then wrap in foil and finish cooking until it's pullable.

You can get as much pit time as your schedule allows, then do an oven finish. This can be in a roasting pan, or foiled, or a combination of both. When doing this, hit it a little harder than usual with a heavy wood....like hickory.

The last suggestions will work, but you will loose many of the attributes of barbecued pulled pork. These would be a braised finish, or a pressure finish in a pressure cooker. Both these pictures are a braised finish. I do this cook often with butts and chuckies when taking sandwiches to work. As you can see I change up the flavor profile with some Italian peppers. You could use broth for your braising liquid, then add BBQ sauce after shredding if you were serving sandwiches.

DSC06418JPGa.jpg

DSC06368JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • eggfan
    eggfan Posts: 73
    Options
    I have done a 5 pound butt in about 7 hours. I injected with 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 apple cider vinegar. Rub with olive oil, use favorite rub. Cooked indirect at 325 until internal temp hit 190. I also spritzed with apple juice and apple cider vinegar about every 45 minutes. It turned out fine.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    8# Boston Butt in about 6-1/2 hours with great results

8# Boston Butt

I injected some apple juice & apple cider vinegar mix. Used apx. 6oz.

I started a hot and fast butt this afternoon. At 6 ½ hours into the cook and just waiting for the meat temp to get to 200° The grid is at 370° and the dome is about 400°.

Time summary for meat temperature:

0:00 - hours and egg stabilized at 370° grid (dome about 400°.

2:45 - 167° pulled & foiled, back to the egg. Butt looks good with a nice dark bark.

3:17 - 171°
    3:46 - 181°
    4:47 – 191°
    5:21 – 192°
    6:00 – 193/194° meat / grid at 367° I am thinking the temp should be climbing faster at this level.

6:28 – 193°
    7:00 - 199° to 204° different areas of the meat - Pulled to rest.

GG
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    Thanks!! To everyone for you replies..

I am going to put 2 8lb butts on tomorrow morning at 6. We are forecasted here in Ohio for 45mph winds, plus I just can't put them on tonight.

I plan on doing them at 350 for a couple hours, with Oak smoke, foiling them, and however long it takes.. I will report back in tomorrow with results!!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hey Lizard, you will be just fine. Let us know how it comes out. Good luck to you and Happy Mothers Day!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini