Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on the X-Large egg

EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I already have a gas grill and a charcoal grill but am interested in the Big Egg. Any thoughts on getting an X-Large Egg ?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I recommend it.

Soon you'll being to wonder why you keep those other things around.

But in all honesty, a large/small combo will cost about the same and will give you much more versatility.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    I have two large eggs, and love them. The first one was a gift about three yrs. ago, the second I purchased recently. Eggs in general are a great cooking tool. My initial interest was in traditional BBQ (ribs, pork butt, etc..). I still do BBQ but the other things like pizza, bread baking, cookies, high heat searing, dutch oven cooking, stir fry with a wok, is the major difference that sets the egg apart from other cookers. The forum that supports the egg is also a great help as well. I know that your gasser and charcoal grill will be neglected should you get an egg. Hope my little rant is helpful, good luck.
  • EGGARY
    The thing about getting the X-Large EGG is that you seem to not have enough room. I also enjoy my gas grill as well. Not to drop names but the gas grill is a FIRE MAGIC.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    After a year with my first egg I sold my $3300 gasser for $600. Hard to believe for you now but it will happen B)
  • I have not been around very long, but I have a medium and a large and having the two really work great. You can cook high on one and med to low on the other one. X-Large does look real nice if you plan on cooking for a lot of people. Any way you go, you will not be disappointed. The eggs are GREAT!
  • An Egg is not for everyone. Maybe you are that one?

Stick with your gasser.
  • EggFreedom
    EggFreedom Posts: 14
    Bubba-Que wrote:
    An Egg is not for everyone. Maybe you are that one?

Stick with your gasser.

?? :blink: ??

This visitor seems to confused ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Rod,
    I agree 100% with your Large & Small combo recommendation over just buying an XL. IMHO new eggers who don't have a clue who think the BIGGEST is the best are not wise and won't be happy with their expensive outlay. The versatility of the sizes is the secret!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    I still have my gasser but since I got my XL it has sat unused. I have since bought a large wich gets the same amount of use as the XL depending on what I am cooking. For example, Sunday I intend to smoke 3 racks of ribs on the XL and a pot of smoked pork and beans on the large and then a stuffed pork loin on the Large. all the while the ribs are slo smoking on the XL and the gasser still sits cold.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    DON'T DO IT!! You'll never get the neighbors to go home.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    I decided against the XL because I thought it would be too dificult for my wife to raise the lid without breaking the ceramic.

If you're prime concern is real estate, then your gas will deliver. There are several folks in this forum that have increased the real estate of their eggs with extended grills, etc. while maintinaing the cooking characteristics of the egg.

On a personal note, I selected a large and just recently purchased a small.

Egging is a different style of cooking with a lot more versatility than my gasser. Q, smoking, baking, etc. with great taste and the ability to change the taste easily.

Wham, bam, thank you ma'am, I go with my gas.

If I want to make something special, I take my time,
    have a nice drink, enjoy company, make an event out of it and I've never been disappointed.

Michael
  • EGGARY
    Yes the gas grill is more for convenience but I enjoy cooking on the Charcoal grill and I feel I would be much happier doing it on an EGG. I also have a Smoker and the EGG would kill many "birds" with one stone.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    What will surprise you is how much happier you would be and how much easier everything is. Pull the trigger and you wont regret it.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,506
    hey Michael, congrats on your small, where/when did you get it? my small is still in the box since Easter!
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    I just recently got an XL (have now owned all five sizes). The XL is a great cooker, the amount of heat in that big thing during grilling makes for some fine fine food. And during a low 'n slow it's as stable as a rock.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    GTI...Start with the Large....(with your savings in purchase price of the XL, you can buy the acessories you need, that aren't available for the XL!) And trust me....you will not run out of room, unless you run out of imagination!! :whistle:
    You'll have to look at past posts to understand!! :blink:
    It will be the best investment you ever made...and stick with this forum, and really learn the Egg...next thing you know, your gasser is where you store your tools!! :woohoo: :blink: ;) (sorry...but it is true!) ;) And next, you are buying another Egg....lol!!! (whatever you do, don't ever go to an Eggfest! Cuz that's when you realize that there are a whole bunch of REAL people on this forum, just loving the Egg, and all the wonderful things we can do with it!!!!) :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    I know you have plenty of advice already GT, I have xl a large and a 48 in DCS which acts as a 4000$ storage unit. The food off the egg always amazes me.

GOOD FRIENDS AND GOOD EATS

DALE
  • OKCegger
    OKCegger Posts: 38
    I have an XL and now a Medium. I have had the XL for a year & a half and not one person in my family or my neighbors complained about it being to big!! :laugh: Last month I cooked for a 57 person birthday party using the XL only. Two turkeys followed by 2 briskets and a ham. I couldn't believe it - there was only enough left over's for a couple of meals for the wife and I. My brother-in-law and son have a large and they love theirs. My son got the large because of cost only or he would have an XL. I have 2 neighbors that have XL's and they swear by them. Believe me and everyone else "Just get the EGG" size really doesn't matter or does it? You will probably get a second one later anyway! :woohoo:
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Hi Gary:

I got it a BBQ Galore Oakville - impulse purchase.

My wife was in Germany at the time (Easter) being a God Mother to her neice and I was being Mr. Mom to our 4 kids.

The kids and I were picking up some lump and I saw that they had a sale ($150.00 voucher) on any purchase over $699.00 and it could be a combo of items - one thing lead to another and I slapped down the cash before I walked out the door.

Funny thing; they had to order it in (I wasn't in a rush)and I gave them my work number and cell number with instructions to call me.

A few weeks ago, my wife calls me at work and says "a little bird just called - your egg is ready" - she told the guy that he must be mistaken as I picked up my egg last summer. BUSTED !!!

Hey, it could have been worse. I have a habit of doing these things when my wife leaves me alone with the kids. It's her fault and I'm sticking with that story.

Mine is still in the box too - I have to adjust my table to accommodate the newest addition as well as all the other "Honey do" things that need to get done now that spring is here.

I'm sure that I'll work on the project during the May 24 weekend?

Michael