Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Sharpening in the ATL

Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found a guy near Spagetti Junction that does a great job for an extremely reasonable price. Access is off of Pleasandale Rd at I-85. I had my two good knives done. They are sharp as ever.
I had to wait a short bit while he did a dozen blades for the head meat cutter at Whole Foods, but I hung out and chewed the fat ;) with him. He informed me that he doesnt call himself a butcher, in that he doesnt start with a full side of beef and work his way into chops, and that for this reason real butchers are a rarity these days.

Good guys there at.....
Southeast Cutlery 770-263-8886

PS. Tell him Big Ron sent you, so maybe I can get mine for free next time. :)

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Nice to hear from you Ron.

Send me specifics (maybe an address) on how to get there if you would please.
  • Bacchus
    Hey Rod, its just off of the access Road by the QT at Pleasantdale and I-85. It's on McCall Dr, but I dont have the address handy. If you take a right out of Restaurant Depot, go past the QT, take a right on McCall, cross the RR tracks, its just up on the left.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Hey bud, nice to see you post. Cover work out ok? Hope you are well. Mark
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Perfect. I can go to RD and then check in.

Thanks for the info.

Hope all is well with you - don't be such a stranger.
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Can I ask what the charge is per knife??

Thanks,
    ChrisC
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Can I ask what the charge is per knife??

Thanks,
    ChrisC
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    hey ron!!

glad to see you still check in now and then :)

i have become real good friends of the guys at my local publix!! the manager does any of my knifes for free!! he does them on a tri-stone sharpener.. so any of your lower end knifes that might not need the special attention that that guy gave yours today.. keep it in mind ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bacchus
    Hey Terry, hope you and the Fam are doing well.
    I don't go to Publix a whole lot, mostly Kroger but thanks for the tip.

Mark, the cover is actually to small for the Large with mates unfortunatley. It's odd, because the packaging indicates that it should fit. I do very much appreicate you sending it to me though. That reminds me, the moving company still owes me $50 for tearing mine. I figured I would just keep the one you sent until someone else needs it, unless you want it back. Either way is fine.

Ron
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Bummer. Don't need it back Bud. Won't fit the composite shelves either. That's why you got it in the first place. Save it for someone else I guess. Mark
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    If you get down my way, I can sharpen you knife(s) that it will shave the hair off your arm. FREE.

This is what I sharpen LC's on.

tormek_t-7.jpg
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Better not sass her. You'll be cut 3 ways before you even feel it!
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Tim,I'll admit that I was a little scared holding LC's knife :ohmy: :lol: That thing was stupid sharp :pinch:
  • bubba tim
    I know how you feel. I am waiting for the day when one of her knives, kick back on the wheel and come back on my fingers. You can call me Bubba-Stub Tim..lol
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • "Sparky"
    :lol: Stubba Tim :woohoo: :P :laugh:
  • bubba tim
    You peeked! :ohmy:
  • "Sparky"
    :lol: I'm not sayin nothin :whistle: :P :ohmy:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Hey Ron, great to see you on here again. Hope to see you in Atlanta if you can make it. Had a great time hanging out with ya last year. :)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Tim, I've got the larger version of that machine, works awesome. I only sharpen once a year as long as I can keep Kim away from my knives. Was expensive but worth every penny. -RP
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    I bet the demon barber owns a Tormek :evil:
    canuckland
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    again. I was thinking about you tonight when I went to the Mothership for the BBQ class. I took a friend who is brand-new to the obsession of ours and I remebered how you and Doug took me under your wings and helped me get started just like I have done with my newbie- Mark. Take care of yourself and give me a call to catch-up.
  • I still sharpen mine with a wet stone and then keep an edge touched up with a steel.
    My great aunt taught me how to put on an edge…She was a cutter at one of the big St. Louis processors all of her working life. She wasn’t really a butcher either, but she knew a lot!!
    Actually we have very few butchers left out in the market place! I only know of one (and I’m keeping him), that is now in his mid 60’s, who is still cutting and making sausage.
    The guys at the market that I frequent are all “meat cutters”.
  • bubba tim
    Hey Randy,
    I didn't know they made a bigger machine. You are right. They are pricey. I also picked up a #6000 gritt wheel from Japan Woodworker. It is made by King. King make all kinds of water stones. If you want Kim to keep her hands off your knives, buy her a set just for her. Seems to work at the Gourmet BBQ and Fish Camp.
    :whistle::whistle::whistle: :woohoo: :woohoo: