Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Name or "Handle" - This inquiring mind wants to know

Options
Toe 49
Toe 49 Posts: 193
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So....I know there has been talk about the "handle" each people use in the forum but I'd like to know why people have chosen the name they use in this forum. Like myself, Toe 49. For some reason this was a nick-name, I believe, my siblings labeled me with a long, long time ago. I decided to use this only for that reason, an old nick name. Now, as how I got that nick name I have no clue. Maybe my brother Kevin (Pout in the forum) might be able to explain the nick name to me. So, what story lies behind your handle?

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Toe 49,[p]"Honey, you smell smokey", is what my wife has said on several occasions. Thus the name "Smokey"![p]smokey.gif

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Toe 49,
    When I came to the forum I signed my name (Bob) and was informed that there was a Bob here way before myself, thus I became "New Bob"[p]Cheers,
    New Bob
    Getting older all the time. ÜÜÜ

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Toe 49,
    I have an old nickname maybe I should go back to, I use Chef Wil jus becuz dats what I am, but as of now and thanks to you, I the BBQ~nut, as my wife often calls me.
    Thanks Toe

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    After years of running naked and barefoot through the woods....... Naw, really:[p]I used to work with this really fun old guy. He was, like 79 years old, and would tell stories all day. I would always tell him of my backpacking trips (8 or 10 trips per year at that time). I'd show him pictures, and tell him stories of my outdoor adventures, and the ultimate peace and quiet I enjoyed.[p]He coined me Nature Boy. I liked it.[p]Now you got me curious on the Toe49 thing. But what I really want to know (and I have asked to no avail) is where the hell does the "5x9" come from in djm5x9's handle??[p]Good post toe-mang!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Toe 49,[p]When we were just wee punks we used to call our buddies Billy C or Jimmy D. MickeyT just stuck for some not all.[p]Since I bought my cottage a bunch of folks and kids call me Captain because I'm always putting them on fish or navigating around the lake in the boats.[p]If you see a Captain post it's only MickeyT.[p]Good post Toe.[p]Mick[p]
  • Toe 49
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Here are the names I remember the siblings going by while growing up:[p]Brian - Brain
    Shawn - Pistol
    Kevin - Pout
    Dennis - Scrunch
    Kathy - Scrathy
    Colleen - Scrolly Dog
    Tom - Toe 49
    Tim - Nerdy[p]Who knows why.....I'll have to research my nick name.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Toe 49,
    Like chicken and live in Spring Texas. Hence, Spring Chicken.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]If he keeps eating as good as he does that will equate to his waste size.... smiley thing :~)[p]
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Can I help if I got lazy fingers :~)[p][p]

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Toe 49,
    um
    stike is a truncated version of stikeman, my last name.[p]no cool story here....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    Toe 49,
    How often has your wife questioned you about something you may or may not have done (of a mischievous nature) and the first thing you said was, "WudEyeDoo?"

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    MickeyT,
    My daughter gave me a t-shirt for Father's day with Captain on it for the same reason.
    Larry

• Toe 49
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    GOOD ONE!! I like that a lot!

1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    Toe 49,
    I'm a reserve deputy with the sheriff's dept. 1044 is code for "Go to chow". [p]Howard

1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    I think the post under this one has a perfect handle in the title. Who wants to be "Crusty Butt"?
  • PharmDawg
    PharmDawg Posts: 12
    Options
    Toe 49,
    Don't post very often--just read and learn mostly.
    I am a pharmacist and graduate of UGA "DAWGS" hence
    the name.
    John

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Toe 49,[p]Mine probably doesn't need much explanation... ;) I had a nickname in college (fatman -- which is funny cuz I'm 6'3" and at the time weighed 165), but I think someone else posts here under that handle. I figured if I just used my name it would be one less thing for me to forget![p]Rich G.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Toe 49,
    BlueSmoke is a whole combination: like blues, got blue hair, like to make smoke, been known to blow smoke...[p]Fun thread. Thanks.[p]Ken

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Toe 49,
    Sad to say that no one has ever given me, for whatever reason, a nickname. Hence no handle.[p]What I find interesting is that from grade through high school I was known by one name, and at college by another. Neither is my legal name![p]Anyone want to take a stab at giving me a nickname? Be gentle, and make it usable in polite company -- grin![p]Kelly

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Just another truncated name here.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Toe 49,
    At my first car wash, it was located next to a school and a teacher or 2 would bring their class over to look inside. I would give each student a coupon so their parents could wash their car for free.
    One of the student's parents came in to thank me and the child did not know my name. So she just told her parents that it was CAR WASH MIKE.[p]CWM

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Can't help with the nickname, but I gotta chime in on that "legal name" business.[p]My legal first name is "Sanford", which my mother never liked and claimed she'd never authorized. So as a little boy I was Kenny. My smart aleck brother took initial and name to make me "Skenny" (say it). I came home from the first day of kindergarten and told my mom I had a new name: Sanford. Next day she took me into school and told the teacher she didn't give a hoot what the registration papers said, I was Ken or Kenny and would be called that thank you very much.[p]Ken

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I'm a blues fan and musician (harmonica, as those of you who have been to any of the Waldorf EggFests know) and I love to barbecue.
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    My story is very similar. My last name was (is) not the same as my parents (and yes, they are biological) or my sibs. The teachers just couldn't fathom that![p]Kelly

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    Toe 49,
    Mom and Dad started calling me Willy Wonka after I read the book and saw the movie as a little kid. They still call me Willy, which used to crack up girlfriends etc.[p]I always thought Cornbread Maxwell had the coolest nickname and always kind of wished someone would start calling me Cornbread. One of my friends calls me that, but it doesn't really count since I asked him to. In my opinion, you can't really give yourself a nickname or even suggest it (a la George Constanza and "T-bone."[p]Anyhoo - combine real nickname with fantasy nickname and you get Cornbread Willy. Plus, cornbread goes good with barbecue. I eat it all the time.[p]That's it.[p]Jonathan (see, that doesn't sound cool at all)

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Oh sure, we could come up with the funny rhyming ones like "smelly beef". It would be much better if you could provide some details about yourself like hobbies or maybe a physical description so we can come up with a fitting name like "bottom round" or something!! If you really want us to take on the task blindly anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of us willing to try![p]Jim
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Toe 49,
    Neices and nephews started caling me "Great Uncle Gandolf" because I have silver/white hair. Sure it came from the movie! I kinda got used to it.

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    JSlot,
    "Crusty Butt" is "still up for grabs"...[p]Ken

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    my handle "Chef Arnoldi" was chosen, because i enjoy cooking and have done so for over 20years. I have taken several courses at culinary school and have done just about all types of cooking/baking. I spend my spare time perfecting techniques & recipes (in my next life i'll become a chef). My family call me Iron Chef.
  • FlaBQ
    FlaBQ Posts: 12
    Options
    Toe 49,
    Native Floridian and compulsive Q'er and griller here. Tried to combine the two and came up with "FlaBQ". It really only works when you say it out loud, though: "Flah-bee-cue". Has a nice ring, doncha think?
    Cheers,
    Chris