Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin - whole

GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anyone ever cook a Whole beef tenderloin? about 5-6 LBs

how?
indirect/direct
temp of BGE

Removed loin at what temp?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This might help. I would pull around 125F for rare. Your call foar how you like it.

Beef, Tenderloin, Roast, BobbyQ

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Lbs Beef Tenderloin
    1/2 Cup Dizzy Pig’s Raising the Steaks Rub or Cowlick Steak Rub

Procedure:
    1 Generously coat the tenderloin with the rub and let it sit for half an hour. Sear on the BGE at 650°F. for about 1 minute on each side or a total of 4 minutes. Close down the BGE with the tenderloin still on, and watch until the temperature drops to about 350°F. I finished roasting until the internal temperature was 140°F and then I pulled it and rested it for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Bobby Cresap (BobbyQ)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '06, BobbyQ
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    My method is similar to Richard's.I liberally coat the tenderloin in fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt then a pretty thick coating of prepared horseradish,Let rest at room temp for one hour.Placesetter legs up egg stabilized at 350 dome, indirect, place tenderloin on egg til an internal temp of 125.Pull it off,rest 10 to 15 minutes,slice serve with au jus.This recepie has won first place in the beef category in a local cookoff 3 of the last 4 years,the other time it won second.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Hoss,

Sounds like a winner (no pun intended) . :whistle:

3 questions:

1) Did you have a drip pan to catch the au jus, or make it from broth?

2) You didn't sear, just roasted indirect the whole cook? How long did it take?

3) Did you use straight horseradish or have a recipe for this?

BTW, since you posted this recipe, is it OK for us to use it or repeat it???? :evil: :woohoo:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Man... That whole thread sure did stir up a ruccas. I just stood from a far and lurked. :laugh: :whistle:
  • Misippi Egger
    Eddie,

Got tired of reading it. Kinda like the last time Dr BBQ peeked his head up and got blasted. i don't know him, but he seems to be pretty smart, has great recipes and promoted the BGE well, BUT he also seems to have a big chip on his shoulder or something. Hmmmm

How are things down along the coast?

Hope ya'll have a great Mother's Day weekend at your house.
  • I have done it following a Paula Deen recipe with a bourbon marinade. Seared it direct at 500 dome to brown and roasted it at 350 til 125 degrees. Let me know if you want the marinade recipe - it was awesome - even kids liked it!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Did you get my picture the other day?
  • GrillDaddy
    Thanks everyone! :)

I will check back in tomorrow and see if any other ideals were posted.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Beautiful, I think the rain has gone. Now it's back to preping the yard for new sod. :ohmy:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    The same to you. I am looking around for some good ideas for this weekends cooking. We usually take the moms out to lunch but the crowds and the hassel can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. I figure I can cook something a little special here this time. The beef tenderloin and prime rib are at the top of the list right now. :ermm:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    About how long did it take Indirect?
  • faithie999
    faithie999 Posts: 98
    how long did the roast step at 350 take?
    thanks
    Ken
  • I can't remember the exact time it took - just remember to cook to temp. and not time. The tenderloin will rest under foil and stay warm for quite awhile. You can leave it for approximately 30-40 minutes if you need to, just don't slice into it, and it will still be warm, leaving you time to get your sides in order.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    GrillDaddy,

I didn't read all the responses but a whole tenderloin will lead to some real well done parts. Here is about two thirds of a whole that I did last week. I vacuum sealed the rest it will provide a couple of filets and some stir fry beef. There is a vein of fat that runs through the tenderloin that I like to remove, then roll and tie.

P1010014.jpg

P1010016.jpg

I bought another whole on sale today, Canada Triple A for 6.99/lb.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• B) Ku did a "chunk' o' tenderloin" on the Large a while back direct, around 350/375, turning on all sides a few times. Took longer than would have expected (not like a steak)...but came out nice and medium rare--sorta guessed at time and temp (pre Thermapen that dog destroyed :angry: ), but used the "folding ribs" guestimation and that worked pretty well :woohoo: Just used EVOO, S&P. He made au jus from concentrated beef stock.
    Be sure to remove the sinew (sp) or it will curl up like a slug :lol:
  • Hoss
    Been movin today.Sorry for the late post. :angry:I did use a drip pan to catch drippins for au jus.I DID NOT sear,roasted the whole time,35-45 mins til it reached 125 IT.Used a jar of Reese's prepared horseradish.Real stuff,NOT horseadish SAUCE!!! :sick: Anyone is welcome to use this recepie UNLESS THEY are COMPETING with ME at an EGGFEST or COOKOFF!!! :woohoo: :lol:
  • Hoss
    I did have the meatcutter trim it for me,folded the tail back upon the main part and tied so the whole "LOG" was about the same size.This heips it cook even. ;)
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Whole beef tenderloin is the holiday dinner of choice around here. Here is what we do. Sear all sides of loin direct, high heat, or sear all sides in a cast iron skillet (skillet used when making a pan sauce) Reconfigure egg for indirect cook and stabilize at 400. Add wood chips and or chunks at this time if you want. I cook to internal of 130 for med. rare. If you have people who like their meat more cooked cut pcs. from the small end. I have also tied the small end folded under for more uniform result. You almost cannot go wrong with this cut, good luck.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    I like to cook it as a beef wellington, wrapped in puff pastry with a pate, mushroon duxelle, and so on. This is a great favourite around here.
    Roger
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    I love the part of the recipe that says Servings: 1
    You gotta respect someone who eats a three pound roast! :lol:
  • Misippi Egger
    Hoss,

I like the disclaimer ! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • GrillDaddy
    Thanks all, lots of good info and happy cooks for all of you that are cooking something special for your Mother and/or Wife/girlfriend for Mother's day.