Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cyber Q

BuffaloChipBuffaloChip Posts: 106
edited 3:25PM in EggHead Forum
Anyone using a Cyber Q II? Got one at the Waldorf eggfest and haven't been able to get it to communicate with my laptop. It recognizes the Cyber Q when I plug it in and installs the driver but the software says "Cyber Q II not found on USB port". Anyone know if there is a specific com port or maybe the com port settings? The Device Manager shows it on COM 14.

--Dave
·

Comments

• mikeb6109mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    I have one and installation was real easy but i have not tried to use it on a wireless hub yet.
    ·
  • BuffaloChipBuffaloChip Posts: 106
    Not using a wireless or wired hub. It's connected directly to a USB port on the laptop. Not sure why my com ports to 2-13 say they are in use. I believe some USB devices look only to about com port 4 or 8.

--Dave
    ·
  • mikeb6109mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    i have no idea what that means but mine worked perfect hard wired to my pc!
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I've started playing with mine in preperation for a product report on the website. I installed the software on Vista and it works fine plugged into a USB port. Tomorrow I hope to go get a wireless hub and try that. I thought USB was magic and you didn't have to worry about ports, but heck, lots of this stuff is magic, LOL....
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
    I've never had a problem installing any USB equipment on this laptop and I've installed mice, keyboards, number pad, weather station, gps and others.

NOTE: I am absolutely NOT blaming the Cyber Q as I know every computer is different. I'm sure it will connect when I find out what is different on THIS computer. I am going to try it on my desktop just to verify. I did send BBQ Guru tech support an email so will wait to hear from them.

I don't have any machines with Vista. XP pro for me and hope magic will overcome the technical.

--Dave
    ·
  • James MBJames MB Posts: 349
    Doesn't this USB stuff depend on whether it's a native USB device or if it relies on software to mimic a usb connection (USB to UART ?)
    OK - I admit it I'm out of my depth......back to the day job.
    btw I look forward to the TNW review.
    ·
    Like TNW says. It's all magic.

On this laptop com prots 2-13 all say 'in use'. 14 is the first open one and after installing the Cyber Q dirver it's proprieties show the Cyber Q.

Not sure why all the com ports are in use but just for the heck of it I disabled com 4 and my wireless mouse stopped working. Had to reboot to get it back.

--Dave
    ·
    Got home and had an email from Bob from BBQ Guru saying they had a quick fix. They sent me a file to replace one of the original files, gave exact instructions on how to change the com port number and it worked like a charm. Connected immediately when the program started.

GREAT SUPPORT!!! Thanks, Bob.

--Dave
    ·